Duck has swelling on top of head and foamy eyes and shaking her head

AmyJ : I'm really happy to hear that your girl is doing fine. It was really dark outside when I noticed her eyes with formy bubbly last night.(I had a BIG flashlight) So, It was kinda hard to see if she has some typle of injury or anything. And I tried to catch her and closer look this morning...but, she was quicker than me lol I couldn't catch her.(Mallards also fly ; ) Yes, she's still with everybody and she still has formy bubbly eyes. I'll treat her with saline & neosporin as soon as my husband get home. (I think he can catch her)
Anyway, my husband thinks she(all of my Mallards) has an allergy to my Pekin drake. My pekin drake is getting aggresive to my Mallards. My mallards used to be my Pekin pair's boss because my Pekins are younger. Now, Pekin drake notice he's bigger than them.

Wifezilla : I didn't think about a snake bite! It was really warm for Nov. yesterday. So, I saw some snakes on the road when I was taking a walk with my kids & dog. I would definitely check for the bite marks or some kind of injury around her eyes & head. Thank you very much! I always learn a lot of things from your answer, advice & info.

chixie : The way they eat(find) their food, snake bite & a spider bite are very possible! But, can you see or can you tell a spider bite? I saw a spider bite on humans before. Do I have to look for the same thing?

Thanks again, Noriko.

Last edited:
I guess its possible it could of been a snake bite or spider or something else, maybe even bee or wasp something like that. My ducks free range and we have about 2 acres, so it could of been anything. I didnt think about that actually.

Noriko, hope your mallard is ok:)

My Mother duck had 3 litters this year and all the ducklings are healthy . In this 3rd litter though I am seeing one little duckling about 3 weeks old and it has a soft watery swelling on its head . Now a few days after it seems to be spreading . Today I saw a tiny scab.
I am so grateful for what you shared as I am going to get some neosporin to apply and speed the recovery .

Back
Top Bottom