Duck hatch help please

I also want to tag @RavynFallen she's great with assisting, and often sees things I don't, and does it alot more than I do. She may also be around later if you run into any more trouble.

Also want to mention while you are waiting, if this ends up being a lone duckling, you might want to read up on some threads about single ducklings. They really do better with siblings, but folks have made it work with singles. Take your mind off the bator for a bit, while he's resting, and do some research.
big_smile.png

Oh, and if these eggs were in the coop under a momma, what happened to her? Did she abandon them?

Thank you! My husband just got home to meet the electrician so he held the egg with a flashlight so I could get a better pic :) I applied some more Vaseline to the top as well.. I'll update here in a little bit and see how he's doing. Right now he's hanging out in the incubator..

Our duck was laying in our chicken coop and they were up under a broody hen.. she had eaten two of the other duck eggs so we weren't quite sure if it was safe. Our momma duck drops and goes.. she hasnt had interest in her eggs :( we have 5 that we started in an incubator that are about 2 weeks behind our one that's hatching now. I'll have to read up more on socializing :) Thanks!

I'm having a hard time telling if it's a blood vessel..

Our duck was laying in our chicken coop and they were up under a broody hen.. she had eaten two of the other duck eggs so we weren't quite sure if it was safe. Our momma duck drops and goes.. she hasnt had interest in her eggs :( we have 5 that we started in an incubator that are about 2 weeks behind our one that's hatching now. I'll have to read up more on socializing :) Thanks!

You're doing great!

Is it still open just the amount in this pic I quoted? If so, I would open up the shell the rest of the way around where the air cell area... the edges of the shell may be hiding more dried membrane around the duckling... you want to get that moistened with the vaseline too...

Yawning and bill wiggling is normal while they absorb yolk and blood veins, don't worry too much on that... and good to hear he was cheeping earlier, means the lungs are clear... :)

Last edited:

Thanks! I opened up a little more around the air sac area and you were right! Very very dry.. he is wiggling and chirping like crazy, but hasn't made any progress at all..

Last edited:

Thanks! I opened up a little more around the air sac area and you were right! Very very dry.. he is wiggling and chirping like crazy, but hasn't made any progress at all..

I see a lot of veins still, so he's wiggling to get the blood flow moving to absorb those... not quite ready yet, so just hang in there... once those recede, he'll let you know when he's ready, he'll start struggling like crazy if he's stuck, or he'll pop out if not...

Looks good and nice clear bill... great job! :)

Thank you guys all so much for your time and expertise :) I'm just patiently (or maybe a little impatiently lol) waiting now!

Back
Top Bottom