Duck Hatching From Pointed Side Of Egg

Jenstorm

Hatching
Jun 13, 2017
Hi All--I'm new here and have a problem. Hatching 4 duck eggs with my kids in small incubator. All have hatched (last one 7 am today) and that one is on the "wrong side" of the egg. From all I read, they can't hatch by themselves...

One of the others was like that too and making no progress since Sunday and I gave it some assistance in the early morning today and he is fine now. I tried to assist this one as well but encountered a spot of blood and stopped. She has her beak out and is cheeping and by all other accounts seems ready (timing etc.).

They went into the incubator on May 15 which would put the 28 day mark at Sunday night/Monday morning and it's Tuesday night.

So just looking for any help..should I leave her alone? Help again? Thank you so much!!

Sometimes they can make it out on their own, but other times they do need help.

Since you saw blood, she's not quite ready yet. You said you can see her beak; is she doing some yawning? Yawning means they're still working on getting everything absorbed.

Sometimes they can make it out on their own, but other times they do need help.

Since you saw blood, she's not quite ready yet. You said you can see her beak; is she doing some yawning? Yawning means they're still working on getting everything absorbed.

Thank you for responding! She's making s lit of noise, not necessarily yawning..Maybe she wasn't ready? The other ducks are trying to help her!

IMG_5539.JPG
I will get one, but at the moment the other ducks are on top and all around it. They're trying to help--so cute. I'll get one as soon as I can . Thank you!

Ok got one.

Thanks! Actually from that picture it looks like it might be ready. Did it do the zip on its own or was that something you did for it? How long ago was the bleeding? Might be time to start chipping away again to see if she's ready. Of course stop if you see blood.

Thank you for your help! I had chipped the shell away and pulled back some of membrane. I saw the blood maybe 3 or so hours ago--a spot of red blood. Thanks again!

Looks like she's ready! If she can push out on her own, great. If not feel free to pop the cap off and help her head out. She'll take it from there.

Back
Top Bottom