FoxBurrow

In the Brooder
Oct 12, 2020
Please help, we were recently given 11 ducks of various breeds, and are trying to figure out what breeds and ducks/drakes we have.
Can Black Swedish have black spots on their chest? Does green head automatically mean male? Are the two light ones Silver Appleyard?

Attachments

• IMG_4742.JPG
    IMG_4742.JPG
    496.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4743.JPG
    IMG_4743.JPG
    479.2 KB · Views: 29
individual pictures would be nice please. i see 5+ drakes and a couple girls look to be beginning to be overmated

This is the best I can do until tonight when my husband gets home.

Attachments

• IMG_4750.JPG
    IMG_4750.JPG
    566.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4752.JPG
    IMG_4752.JPG
    493.1 KB · Views: 27
In some breeds, yes. The voice is the most reliable indicator (once past the duckling stage, of course). Also yes, the black ones with white chests are black swedish. I also believe I see a male and female golden layer. No matter the breeds, this amount of drakes with females will not work out. You either need to drastically improve the number of females, or remove/separate multiple males.

Actually- could you take separate pictures of all the ducks? Or even just crop out the others, as long as a good view of the tail area. Or you can listen to their voices. I believe there is a higher number of females than I originally though.

The light colored one on the left in the first picture does look like a male Silver Appleyard. I have no idea what the black and white one is?? Where did you get them. Are you sure they are purebreds? I agree with Duckiemum that the light brown female looks like a golden layer or golden 300 hybrid. Some of the ones being referred to as Swedish could be as well. As stated, green heads usually mean drake but not always. Cayuga ducks, for example, can both have some green. You have to look at everything. Head and body color, bill color, voice, drake curl, all give you information.

Beautiful flock! I have an affinity for black ducks. You should make certain the male to female ratio is correct as others have stated. Otherwise the males will injure or even kill the females.

Welcome to the forum! There are many knowledgeable helpful members here.

Back
Top Bottom