Duck hut and run area SO mucky and stinky! Any ideas?

Drainage is important, and I make sure the swim pan area is graded so the dumped water runs off quickly. There is pea gravel under the area, too. It still can get gummed up sometimes.

The smell comes from a combination of no oxygen, medium to high pH (low acid conditions) and high nitrogen. To quickly resolve the odor, I use something to lower the pH, add carbon* and increase the amount of air getting in. Oak leaves work well, but they can get packed down and lose their effectiveness. But they do work well for a while.

I also have (while ducks are out of the area) put down a thin layer of peat moss (low pH) with just a little straw on top. This is not the long term solution, which is better drainage and for me, regular muck out routine. But lowering the pH (raising the acidity) a little bit may quickly help the odor problem. Caution: you can have too much of a good thing! You don't want too low a pH, which would harm the ducks.

*Since duck poop is high in nitrogen, it breaks down more quickly when you add carbon, such as leaves, sawdust, straw, etc. In a very wet environment those can get soggy. But adding that soggy, nitrogen-soaked carbon material makes for wonderful compost! Coir has a nice firm fiber, which can get a little air in the mix. Some here have cautioned about salinity in coir, but I have not had problems with using a bit of it from time to time.

Hi there,

Did you ever post a photo? I'm having the same problem with my smelly ducks (they are so mucky in mud and grass just won't grow!) and would really like to see.

Many thanks in advance!
Chilli

Any chance you can make your duck house mobile? I put wheels on one end of mine and move it like a wheelbarrow to a fresh patch of grass once a week. My yard looks like a quilt patchwork of 10'x10' squares in various shades of green. Also, it has a roof for shade, but 1/2' metal mesh around the sides for the best airflow.

Good luck,
Rich

Back
Top Bottom