Duck hutch floor

TheDuckieLover

Chirping
Apr 10, 2022
Hi there!!

I've had my two ducks for 2.5 years and one problem I have ALWAYS had is the floor of their hutch. In summer, the ducks' waste attracts a lot of flies and does not smell great.
The hutch itself is 1/3 sheltered, floored and walled and the other 2/3 has chicken wire on walls and roof and has no floor. (It looks similar to the image attached below although is larger and has a side door.)

If anyone has a solution to the outside floor area that would be HUGELY appreciated :D
Thanks!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-02-12 at 7.24.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-02-12 at 7.24.27 PM.png
    358.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I first started out with a similar set up years ago. Mine was 4 feet wide 5 feet tall and 10 feet long so it was very hard to move around the yard unless I had 2 or 3 people to help me. So I used paver bricks and did the entire floor area of the run part with them and then I used a generous amount of coop refresher first on the stones (I get the kind for horse stalls) and then combo of pine chips and straw over that . Inside the little house part had a floor so I just used the refresher and pine chips + straw in there )
Here is the thing, every single day I went in there and scooped out all the wet and poopy spots, with a gloved hand. and then added some more refresher granules and fresh flakes/straw.
I also hung (and still do) several of those death-smelling fly bags about 20 feet away from the duck area and they fill up with flies I put new ones each month in summer.

I still do all similar things now although I dont use that old coop/run anymore. Flies here were particularly bad last summer until I found out about a product called PT Alpine.
You spray a few dots of it high up inside the coop / run and it attracts flies , they land on it, they die (practically instantly) they fall down, and it is safe for the ducks/chickens to eat them. Crazy, huh? It really works.

here is one more thing I do I hang up stockings that I fill about baseball size amount with shaved flakes of irish spring soap and citronella essential oil in them
and hang them on my deck and also in sitting area outside to repel the flies from those spots. Keep those out of the rain lol

Back
Top Bottom