Duck in shock??

Silkiesaz

🐓 Silkie Queen 🐓
8 Years
Mar 18, 2016
Somewhere Over the Rainbow
Hi all, my muscovy drake got attacked about 4 days ago at night. We don't know what attacked him but he is freaked out. Ever since, He hasn't left the barn and just sits in the corner. He shows no interest in our females either, which is incredibly unusual for him. We forced him outside yesterday and he hid under the compost barrel all day long. I want to help him recover because it's in the mid 90s all day long and probably hotter in the barn. Please help!

Hi all, my muscovy drake got attacked about 4 days ago at night. We don't know what attacked him but he is freaked out. Ever since, He hasn't left the barn and just sits in the corner. He shows no interest in our females either, which is incredibly unusual for him. We forced him outside yesterday and he hid under the compost barrel all day long. I want to help him recover because it's in the mid 90s all day long and probably hotter in the barn. Please help!
can you bring him inside clean him off in bathtub then check him over carefully for wounds?
Has he been eating and drinking?
i would keep him inside in a dog crate in a dark room. That's quiet with his own food and water so he won't be out there in that heat and maybe that will help him recover from shock if that's what it is . and give him some things like poultry vitamins and electrolytes in the water on and off , like switch with plain water every 12 hrs.

can you bring him inside clean him off in bathtub then check him over carefully for wounds?
Has he been eating and drinking?
i would keep him inside in a dog crate in a dark room. That's quiet with his own food and water so he won't be out there in that heat and maybe that will help him recover from shock if that's what it is . and give him some things like poultry vitamins and electrolytes in the water on and off , like switch with plain water every 12 hrs.
Ok, thank you!!

You really need to check him over for wounds. In the summer flies will get into wounds and lay eggs next there will be maggots, you def don't want them. And be sure from now on to lock your flock up securely at night.
If you find wounds let us know and we'll help.

I checked him over everywhere but didn't see any wounds. He is missing feathers in a few places but whatever attacked him didn't even draw blood. I'm really confused on what could have done that?

He must just be traumatized by whatever it was. Maybe the predator was scared off for some reason, but you can bet the farm it will be back.
Keep food and water close by and let him rest. Hopefully he'll get over the trauma soon.

Here are some pictures for him in case they help. 1000003663.jpg 1000003664.jpg

Attachments

• 1000003662.jpg
    1000003662.jpg
    326.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 1000003661.jpg
    1000003661.jpg
    379.6 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom