Duck Incubation time.. (first timers)

My wife just called me, one of our now 4 ducklings hatched seems to be on his back, has one leg stretched back and the tar poop gunk attached to it. Not sure if the poop is making it so it cant walk or not. Any advise on what we can do. Also with the hatching the humidity has risen to 82%, should i try to lower it for the possible other hatches? @Ravynscroft @WVduckchick @Miss Lydia @Pyxis @casportpony

Last edited:
Have her crack the lid, slip her hand in to get the duckling out and recheck what the humidity settles back to while she cleans up the duckling and puts it in the brooder...
Thank you, she took it out and cleaned off the tar poop, she set him back in the incubator since she is new to the whole brooder thing. She did state that one of its eyes had a haze over it so not sure what that might mean

Thank you, she took it out and cleaned off the tar poop, she set him back in the incubator since she is new to the whole brooder thing. She did state that one of its eyes had a haze over it so not sure what that might mean

That works fine too... if humidity keeps jumping up, just have her crack the lid for a couple seconds then close it again...

As for the eye :fl the inner eyelid was just closed...

Update on the ducklings... we have 4 hatched.. 3 of them look like a Pekin x Swedish mix. 1 looks like a Rouen x Swedish mix. 1 of the pekin x swedish which seems to be a the runt, also has what looks to be glaucoma in one eye. Thought maybe the inner eyelid which was suggested, but it has not gone away at all. We also have 2 eggs working on hatching.. others look like they did not make it.

Congrats On the new ducklings sure look forward to seeing them. Do you have any veterycin spray you could try some in the ones eye it's very safe they also make one for the eyes too.
6 is a good start on your hatching experience :thumbsup

Well after a call from my wife i went home and checked on the two remaining eggs to hatch and they were both dead.. They had their beaks out, but were no moving nor breathing. I used a forced air incubator. Not sure what could of gone wrong with the remaining eggs. Final count 4/17 eggs.

Well after a call from my wife i went home and checked on the two remaining eggs to hatch and they were both dead.. They had their beaks out, but were no moving nor breathing. I used a forced air incubator. Not sure what could of gone wrong with the remaining eggs. Final count 4/17 eggs.

Not great, but could be worse! 4 is better than 0. :)
Maybe we can go back over your process and figure out what may have happened.

Back
Top Bottom