Duck is playing Hide & Seek...

Bettyboop7499

Crowing
5 Years
Mar 25, 2018
Traverse City, MI
Hello BYC! Happy New Year!

I haven't been on in awhile..sure have missed you all!

So, among so many things going on on the farm I have been waiting FOREVER for my Pekin to start laying eggs, the Runners laid a few in late summer..then stopped. It got quite cold in October..I thought maybe they stop laying:idunno...But I haven't seen a duck egg for months. And, I never found a Pekin duck egg. I became distracted by other life situations...

This morning when I was out in the coup I felt something give under my foot..I knew the sound instantly and when I pushed back quite a bit of mulch IT WAS A LARGE WHITE DUCK EGG:barnie or :wee or both! I'm happy she can lay but devasted I didn't know they buried their eggs! I have just been waiting patiently:fl

So, I'm guessing..
First-How do I find them?
Second-is it possible the Runners started burying their as well?
Third-how do I stop it?

Thanks everyone! Hope you all had a wonder Christmas!

Congrats!! I always offer well-stuffed nest boxes, but my ducks often ignore them. My Runners (first year layers) drop eggs wherever they happen to be in the coop as well as burying them...well. My Muscovy also prefer to bury their eggs. I look for any hints of where the treasure may be buried, like disturbed bedding or a slightly sunken spot. Sometimes, I just dig around randomly in corners or against walls. The Runners stopped laying in the fall - or so I thought until I was aerating their bedding and found a well-buried, big clutch. Like @chickens really said, turning the bedding (gently) will definitely help uncover them.

If you figure out how to get them to lay in nest boxes, let me know, too. ;)

They all burry their egg. It's what Ducks do before they decide to set. I collect eggs each morning and still find the odd hidden pile. Turn the bedding each morning after collecting eggs helps.

Oh my gosh...The first few eggs were just sitting on top of mulch so... and I have never seen the ducks work the mulch..ever!

Thank you!

Nest-boxes where you add a thin layer of fresh straw daily and some artificial eggs helped my ducks to lay where i want them to lay. Still accidents occasionally happen.
You know, I tried the fake egg thing...and they left me a note that said "nice try" and kept burying their eggs. :lau

Back
Top Bottom