Duck is STILL puffed up from broodiness!

PoultryGirly

Songster
7 Years
Mar 28, 2012
Hi. My mallard duck went broody about 7-8 weeks ago. None of her babies hated and she also opened up some of her eggs and there were dead ducklings in them. She finally gave up brooding but she is STILL puffed up like she is broody. She goes out into her run and 'digs' in the mud with her bill, drinks a lot, and eats like a HOG! Is this normal? What should do?

It has taken my broodies weeks to taper off on the hormones. I would be sure to give her poultry vitamins with electrolytes and probiotics. Does she have a swimming pool? Is she using it? I wonder if the sound of peeping helps shift the hormones and since there were no hatches, it is going to take longer for that stuff to get out of her system.

Poor baby.

Thanks. A day or so ago I gave them all Nutri-Drench and plan to do that once weeky from now on. They don't have a swimming pool, but today I put a new metal 'tub' in their run that they can get in to swim if they want. They all are still getting used to that. Right next to the ducks my hen has baby chicks so she can hear peeping.

Back
Top Bottom