Duck keeps laying down

UPDATE: We brought Violet in for a warm bath, she tolerated it pretty well. Her breathing seemed a little better, the warmth probably helped. She continued to drink water, and cleaned up a bit. I tried to feel for an egg but didn't really feel anything alarming. After spending some time close to her, she seems to have a little wheezing when she is breathing. Her nostrils are clear. We are keeping her inside tonight with one of her sisters so she doesn't feel all alone. I will monitor her throughout the day tomorrow, but I'm thinking it's respiratory related. We will see how she is doing on Monday and I will make a decision on a trip to the vet at that time.

Here is a video of her and her sister Hazel. It's a good side by side comparison to look at the breathing. Violet is on the top (Lighting isn't that great for a video but I wanted a nice calm light for her to relax)

I think you made a wise decision bringing her and Hazel inside so you can keep an eye on her. Let us know how she is doing please.
Unfortunately, Violet did not make it. We got her to the vet yesterday late afternoon, and the vet believes she had pneumonia based on what she heard in her lungs. The vet gave Violet a 50/50 chance, and sent us home with Tylan to dissolve in her water. We started that right away and she was drinking it pretty frequently. This morning she was breathing very heavy and gasping for air. She passed away a short time later.

Now I’ve noticed another one of my girls (Charlie) displaying some similar early symptoms and I’m not sure how to proceed. I’ve brought Charlie in for closer observation, but the vet will not be in again until tomorrow. On the fence about starting her on the Tylan until I speak with the vet. Charlie is still acting normal, but has the rapid breathing symptoms. This is the not fun part about raising ducks

Thanks @Miss Lydia and @CrystaBub! Just gave Charlie a warm bath and she gobbled up some lettuce and seemed to calm her breathing down. It just seems like it’s at a more rapid pace than the other girls and that’s how Violet started out. You think it’s pretty low risk to start her on the antibiotic? Don’t want to do any harm, but don’t want to delay and have her get worse. The vet’s office said they will have the dr call me when she is in first thing in the morning. Thanks again for your advice!!

:hugsIf I had just lost a bird to an illness, then had another showing similar symptoms, and I still had the medicine left, I would definitely give it to her - I don't think it would hurt.

Plus your talking to the vet in the morning so she’d probably be getting 1-2 doses before. Of course your the only one who can make that call
Thanks guys!! I tried my best to treat Charlie, but she is too feisty so I guess that’s a good sign!! She is eating and up to her normal antics so she went back out with everyone else. Literally could not keep her contained inside after her bath, she wanted out! My lesson from all this is at the absolute first sign of any unusual behavior, I’m taking action. Still going to talk to the vet in the morning about the whole situation. Being a new duck mom, there will be many more lessons to learn. I’m sure it never gets any easier! Thank you both so much for being there and listening and sharing your advice. It’s meant so much to me!

Back
Top Bottom