Duck leg band ID opinions needed!

Kkrista123

Crowing
Dec 2, 2018
Hatboro PA
My Coop
My Coop
Hello everyone! I'm currently deciding on the ways I would like to have Gilberta identified just in case. I want to have her microchipped but I need someone to reassure me this is smart and not cruel in any way. (I've only ever microchipped dogs and cats so microchipping Gil is a big decision.) As long as it wouldn't harm her in any way, I definitely want it done. Also does anyone have experience or opinions on custom leg bands? I would love to have a custom leg band for Gil with my phone number or address. I just don't want to do anything that would make her uncomfortable or jeopardize her health. She means a lot to me so it's hard to make the decisions without thinking I'm doing something wrong!
Would this be uncomfortable for Gil in any way? Would a plastic or rubber band be better than metal? Is this a bad idea all together? Is microchipping a better idea? Just 1 or both?!
Thanks so much for any help, opinions or experience. Everything helps my indecisiveness!

https://www.strombergschickens.com/...ISoGAYBIRLuAKYjvsBoo9u550pm_Vj5kaAijwEALw_wcB

Your link takes me to bands that are TOO SMALL of a diameter for Duck legs. 4/16 equals 1/4 inch. Not good enough for adult ducks.
A chip is probably not a very good idea, since anyone finding a duck would not immediately go to a veterinarian with a chip scanner.
Chip scanners are not something everyday peeps carry around.
There are plastic leg bands like I use for pigeons, that do come in larger sizes than the most common 8mm size. You just have to seek/search them out. They snap onto a leg, and are removable. They generally do not open up on their own. You can personalize one with a small engraver with whatever info you may fit on there. Generally a telephone # is sufficient explanation.
Another option is to get a large width zip tie and engrave onto smooth side. Zip onto leg so plenty loose, but not falling off. (use common judgment)
image_12658.jpg

Here is another engraver.
image_16884.jpg

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

Since your bird is a legit indoor pet and i think from your posts that its a permenent love i would honestly go to a oawn shop, find the cheapest wedding band or some plain ring and get it engraved. cut it and open it then bend it back over her leg! get a huge ring

Or get a key ring that opens in half like i attatched and get a tiny pet tag from petsmart! I think it would be soo cute

Attachments

• il_570xN.1013507323_lvhh.jpg
    il_570xN.1013507323_lvhh.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 4
  • 97550_web.jpg
    97550_web.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 3
Your link takes me to bands that are TOO SMALL of a diameter for Duck legs. 4/16 equals 1/4 inch. Not good enough for adult ducks.
A chip is probably not a very good idea, since anyone finding a duck would not immediately go to a veterinarian with a chip scanner.
Chip scanners are not something everyday peeps carry around.
There are plastic leg bands like I use for pigeons, that do come in larger sizes than the most common 8mm size. You just have to seek/search them out. They snap onto a leg, and are removable. They generally do not open up on their own. You can personalize one with a small engraver with whatever info you may fit on there. Generally a telephone # is sufficient explanation.
Another option is to get a large width zip tie and engrave onto smooth side. Zip onto leg so plenty loose, but not falling off. (use common judgment)
image_12658.jpg

Here is another engraver.
image_16884.jpg

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome
So true, thank you!

Since your bird is a legit indoor pet and i think from your posts that its a permenent love i would honestly go to a oawn shop, find the cheapest wedding band or some plain ring and get it engraved. cut it and open it then bend it back over her leg! get a huge ring

Or get a key ring that opens in half like i attatched and get a tiny pet tag from petsmart! I think it would be soo cute
I thought about the second one, I might try it!

Back
Top Bottom