Duck looks sickly, not sure what to do

Macjjo

Chirping
Dec 19, 2021
So i have had this Rouen for about 8 years. As healthy as a horse, but for the past couple of weeks he’s been noticeably becoming more unhealthy. He seems more week, his feathers are scruffed, he seems to be gaining weight, and is far less mobile. Any ideas on what it could be and how to handle it? I don’t think its contagious.

Still, I had to pull him out of his pond this morning, and fear the worst.

I was considering quarantining him for the time being, but I dont want to separate him from his mate (not pictured, thats a duck he was raised with on his left)

First pic is now, and second is from May

Attachments

• 8EB8AAAF-63C3-40B0-9777-E70672B7343E.jpeg
    8EB8AAAF-63C3-40B0-9777-E70672B7343E.jpeg
    816.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 27FC83F1-2034-4D65-BE19-C225286A63B0.jpeg
    27FC83F1-2034-4D65-BE19-C225286A63B0.jpeg
    978 KB · Views: 6
He's very handsome. I have 11 yr old Muscovy 1 drake 3 females their daughter is 10. My drake has arthritis. Maybe you should try getting him on some vitamins. Durvet makes some good ones. Does he have wet feathers when their feathers don't repel water they can get waterlogged and cause them to sink kind of and it can make it hard for them to get out of the pool or pond? Has he molted yet this year? Once he has a good molt hopefully his waterproofing will be back with preening. Slowing down some is normal as they get older but they can still live good lives as long as they have good feed and are well taken care of. What are you feeding him?

He's very handsome. I have 11 yr old Muscovy 1 drake 3 females their daughter is 10. My drake has arthritis. Maybe you should try getting him on some vitamins. Durvet makes some good ones. Does he have wet feathers when their feathers don't repel water they can get waterlogged and cause them to sink kind of and it can make it hard for them to get out of the pool or pond? Has he molted yet this year? Once he has a good molt hopefully his waterproofing will be back with preening. Slowing down some is normal as they get older but they can still live good lives as long as they have good feed and are well taken care of. What are you feeding him?
I just feed him Layena crumbles. I know many reccomend other foods, and I occasionally throw in kale or fruits, but he’s done great on just that. I doubt its age since I had his brother for just as long, and he’s doing just fine. I even have one thats 11 that seems just fine. Wet feather seems the likeliest, but it is probably something bigger. I’ll keep a note on Durvet. Any other vitamins to reccomend

You could try some B complex it's good for many things including strength in their legs. I use Nutritional yeast sprinkled over their feed even as adults. Rooster booster is another one recommended here.

Just like us humans as we age we begin to slow down some so the best we can do is support them and make sure they are as healthy as possible. I now have my Muscovy drake and my oldest Muscovy female[14] on Cosequin with MSM to see if that helps with their legs. My friend has a Pekin with arthritis and her vet rec this for hers so thought I would try it on my 2 oldest.

Back
Top Bottom