Duck mating question

wolf15

In the Brooder
Jun 16, 2017
Hello :) I've been reading these forums for about a year now and decided to finally join. We started out with 4 pekin ducks last year (3 females, 1 male). We lost one female several months ago to a neighborhood dog (we no longer let them free range unattended). A few weeks ago, we lost another female to an unknown illness. Now, with just 1 female and 1 male, we have a couple of issues. First, my husband bought me an incubator to try and get our flock back up. The very same day we got around to putting eggs in the incubator for our first try, our last female decided to become broody! Okay, so that's not really an 'issue', we are excited to see what happens. Our real issue is that now that there is only one female left, I noticed today that she has a bald spot on her neck that is a bit raw from the male trying to mate. Is it time to separate the 2? Do I need to separate indefinitely or just for certain amounts of times?

What about supervised? Let them mate once a day or so? I think our plan is to separate completely at least until we find out if we're getting new ducklings. We're only on day 4 of both the incubator eggs and our female nesting.

Stressing her now if setting is not the time to remove the Drake...He won't be breeding her if setting anyways...Her hormones have changed...Remove him a few days before hatching to give her the privacy she needs to raise her Ducklings...

Good point. I can't watch them all day, but it appears she's only leaving the nest a couple times a day to bath/eat/drink. That's when he goes after her. I'm wondering if I should add a wire partition to their pen so they are 'together', but he can't try to mount her? Sorry, I'm new to this :)

Also, right now I'm observing the situation. Just trying to get ideas of what to do if needed.

Back
Top Bottom