duck pens

oldchickenman

Songster
11 Years
Oct 2, 2008
Parsonsburg Md.
got ducks comeing in feb what kind of pen do i need and will thay use a koop like chickens if you have pics that would nice or could send me to a web site that would thanks all i have 20 ducks mix batch comeing

If you start them out using a coop at night they will get use to it. But that does not mean they will go to the coop on their own like a chicken will at dusk.
I herd my ducks with a flash light, all but two are 1 year old the other two are 2 years old and know when the flash light appears it is time to head to the coops.
The kind of coop will depend on where you live and the kind of weather you have. For ducks it is probably best to have a dirt floor with hay since they are so messy (loose watery poo) unlike chickens.
IMO
Forgot to add. that my ducks free range in different yards and I use the standard square fencing.

Last edited:
I let my ducks out in the backyard during the day with the chickens. They do use the coop but only when it's colder, they walk right up into it just like the chickens, however, I have to shoo them in every night. Yes, every night. They know the drill, and even though it gets dark and I come shoo them in at dusk, they are always out.

When its warm they hang out under the coop (its on stilts) and I have hay under there. I've also blocked the sides so the wind doesn't blow through.

I have a pen and a hutch. I kept them locked in the pen for 2 weeks until they got used to it being THEIRS. Then I started letting them out during the day. For a few days, we had to herd them back in to the pen. Now they just go to the pen and inside the hutch at night on their own.

My duck pen is 8 feet long, 4 feet high sloping down to 3 feet at the front. The sides have 2 4 foot long doors that drop open for easy access for adding/removing straw. One end drops down for duck access. I've got a 60 watt bulb high on the far end (7 feet from the door) and my 3 muscovies survived happily within even when the out door temp dropped to -20.4 this week.

Sometimes I do still have to shoo them in otherwise they seem quite content to try and sit outside all night long in this weather!

Back
Top Bottom