Duck Plague vaccine

Wfpendragon

Chirping
Mar 13, 2016
Wisconsin
Hey all, I am getting my first ducklings next week, and I've been doing a lot of research. One disease that scares me is duck plague or duck viral entertitis. I am not sure how common it is in small duck flocks, and most hatcheries do not have an option to vaccinate them before sending, in fact I can't even find a purchasable vaccine for it anywhere online. Is this something I should be concerned about?

I am currently dealing with Marek's in my chicken flock, and I wish I would have vaccinated them as chicks to save me this heartache. I don't want to experience the same thing with my ducks, but so far vaccinating preventatively does not seem like an option. We do not have any pond nearby, but I have seen geese and ducks fly over from time to time. Can they spread that disease simply by flying over our property? If so how can I protect my quackers?

Also can chicken Marek's mutate or morph into the DVE virus, or will my ducks be safe even if they mingle with my chickens? Sorry for all the questions I just don't want to learn the hard way with any more diseases.
fl.gif

Sorry to hear that your having to deal with Mareks- it's a horrible disease :(.

I have never even heard about 'Duck Plague', but if there isn't a vaccine readily available then there's not much that you can do. I would have thought that if there's such a high risk of it, then surely there would be more info and vaccinations for it??

Good luck with your ducklings- I'm sure they'll do just fine. :)

Back
Top Bottom