Duck Pond/pool pictures

Pics
Oh to not have to worry about cleaning the **** things!

I'm about 90% complete on mine now - just need to go gravity fed to cut out the weekly pre filter clean out (which is extremely NASTY!)

I've not concreted on the left of the bottom pond as this is where I'll be replacing pipework at some point - I'll add a bog filter at some point too as anything I put in the pond gets eaten in short order!

Here's one of everyone in and enjoying themselves
smile.png

I love your set up. This is what I dreamed for but the DH wouldn't let me spend the money:( You've done a great job!

I love your set up.  This is what I dreamed for but the DH wouldn't let me spend the money:(  You've done a great job!

Thanks Ren, it's been a labour of love to get it to this point; working round ducks is painfully slow as all they want to do is 'help'!
But it is worth it and tell your fella it doesn't have to cost much either ;)

Yeah you can spend a fortune (I think I might have done! ), but if you bide your time, you'll be able to pick up a lot of what you need on the cheap. Keep on at him - men have a thing about ponds whether they admit it or not - it's like fire and the noise of engines; it's programmed into us to want these things at a genetic level :D

Hi guys I am planning to renavate and old bath into a duck pond any advice?

It wil have 4 call ducks in it is this ok?

Will add pics in the morning! (I'm in uk)

Thanks

Hi guys I am planning to renavate and old bath into a duck pond any advice?

It wil have 4 call ducks in it is this ok?

Will add pics in the morning! (I'm in uk)

Thanks

Hi, assuming you're going to drop and fill daily (or thereabouts), then I would try to place it where you can pipe to a drain via gravity - if that's not possible then if you have any growing beds nearby then the poop soup makes wonderful fertiliser; so piping the waste water to irrigate your plants is always worthwhile.
It's certainly easier than carrying buckets of silage everywhere!

Either way try to avoid dumping into the ducks area - I know that ducks love mud; but given the amount of rain we get in the sunny uk, you'll have plenty of mud regardless!

The last couple of days has been persistent rain in the northwest and I'm having trouble seeing where my pond ends and the ground begins!

If you can't do any of these things due to location (I couldn't, my house and drains are all a good 4ft higher than the ducks area..), then a sump pump might be a good way of removing the water for a reasonable outlay.

Good luck with it

Hope this isn't bragging :) We live in a neighborhood with a 2.5-3 acre pond in the middle.
Our neighborhood LOVES ducks. Ducks are our swim team mascot, and in the name of our newsletter.
Several years ago, one of the neighbors populated the pond with 10 ducks. Over the years, the number has dwindled to 4 (2 males, 2 females).
I'm in the process of raising 10 more little ones. (1 male, 9 females)
There is a floating duck house on the pond, but they prefer to sleep in the bushes of one of the yards.
We do have some predators around. Neighbors have reported seeing hawks, owls, coyotes, foxes, and snapping turtles.
I'm hoping to break them of sleeping in the bushes and coax them into a coop with a secure place to sleep!

Hi, assuming you're going to drop and fill daily (or thereabouts), then I would try to place it where you can pipe to a drain via gravity - if that's not possible then if you have any growing beds nearby then the poop soup makes wonderful fertiliser; so piping the waste water to irrigate your plants is always worthwhile.
It's certainly easier than carrying buckets of silage everywhere!

Either way try to avoid dumping into the ducks area - I know that ducks love mud; but given the amount of rain we get in the sunny uk, you'll have plenty of mud regardless!

The last couple of days has been persistent rain in the northwest and I'm having trouble seeing where my pond ends and the ground begins!

If you can't do any of these things due to location (I couldn't, my house and drains are all a good 4ft higher than the ducks area..), then a sump pump might be a good way of removing the water for a reasonable outlay.

Good luck with it

Thank you I went down to it this morning and ran my hand over the inside and a tiny bit o white dust came off. Is it to do with the fact that I am scowling it to get the rust off? Is it safe?

Thank you I really. Hope it is safe because I really want to use it!

Last edited:
Thank you I went down to it this morning and ran my hand over the inside and a tiny bit o white dust came off. Is it to do with the fact that I am scowling it to get the rust off? Is it safe?

Thank you I really. Hope it is safe because I really want to use it!

I take it that it's an old cast bath?
If so then yeah you are probably scouring the top layer of paint off. It will just need a fresh coat of paint and then possibly sealant/impregnator of some kind depending on the paint used.

While you are rubbing the rust off, just give the rest of it a rub over so you get a good key with the new paint

Back
Top Bottom