Duck pond

SuffolkGirl

Songster
Jun 1, 2020
UK
Hi all! So my ducks have a pond in the run that’s dig into the floor and lined, (we tried a swimming pool and all the easy things! they hated it never went in) Now I’m just wondering anyone who has a pond like that do you change the water? If so how and how regularly? thanks! 😁

Hi, welcome to BYC!

It'd be helpful if you posted a picture of your setup.

here we go🙂 (the dirt has been grass seeded just waiting for it to grow!)
1591642529051.jpeg

Hi I also have a pond and find myself changing the water once a week. I love to see how happy the ducks are with fresh water. I have a water fall and just use the pump to pump the water out then I refill.
FB13B06E-24AC-495E-80C1-C8C6F26644AB.jpeg
1BDC32C7-3AC0-461C-8CD9-915DBD5E8E6A.jpeg

You can drop a sump pump in the pond and pump the water out. If you have a place for it to go.

I am contemplating doing a pond setup as well. But I plan to filter the water. Along with partial water changes. making a low dimple in an accessible spot to put the pump so it will gather all the Detritus and run it through a Simple filter of Sponge material then gravel Gravity fed back to the pond. The rout to the pond will have water cleaning plants to help out the cleaning process.

Wont be clear but will be on par with a wild pond complete with little swimmers and water insects.

The water change will happen when I flip a switch diverting the pumped water to drain out say to fruit trees or a french drain.

deb

Hi I also have a pond and find myself changing the water once a week. I love to see how happy the ducks are with fresh water. I have a water fall and just use the pump to pump the water out then I refill. View attachment 2184013View attachment 2184014
Your pond is lovely 😊 What type of pump do you have? I’ve been thinking about getting one but don’t know much about pumps lol. How does it manage with the duck crud?

Last edited:
We had an old very large satellite dish we converted to a pond & the ducks LOVED it. Emptying it weekly using a full size tractor was a huge PIA though. Even with a pump with slurry/silt/sand capabilities, we found emptying it & rinsing it was necessary. Now in our new farm, I'm thinking of a pond liner with a drain into a dry well. Anyone have experience building this? There is a swamp but there are attack turtles that would take down our ducks in a flash - already nailed our hound on the nose - where else, she's a hound.

here we go🙂 (the dirt has been grass seeded just waiting for it to grow!) View attachment 2183604

Is it just me or does the ground behind the pond slope off quickly?

If so, I would run some pvc from the bottom of the pond down in to the ground and out of the run where that lower ground is. Place a ball valve at the end and you can easily and quickly drain whenever you like. The bigger the pipe and valve, the quicker you drain and more much that will wash out with it. Place a pvc bulkhead (seal with something like flew seal) going through the liner at the lowest part of the pond.

Should cost no more than $20-$30 and an hour or 2 of digging.

I am planning a pond for my Pekins. I am not sure what material to use. It has to be cost effective I am on a budget. Question about PVC liner, Has anyone had it ripped or punctured by the ducks spurs? And if so how did you handle it?

Back
Top Bottom