Duck water placement? How far from food? Help

NineChickens

Songster
May 23, 2017
Do ducks need water next to their food or can their food be inside and their water outside next to the door? I just don't want the inside to be soaked and possible rotting from all the water.

I don't put their water bucket right next to the food or it's soup in no time okay for the ducks but not for the chickens. Food and water both outside, you don't want to close them up with just food and no water.

I don't put their water bucket right next to the food or it's soup in no time okay for the ducks but not for the chickens. Food and water both outside, you don't want to close them up with just food and no water.
Alright, thanks. I'll try to figure something out then

After around 6 weeks they don't need food and water inside you just take food up at night to keep preds away or vermin from eating it. Making a simple shed cover to keep feed from getting wet isn't too hard I have done a few and believe me I am not handy with tools lol

i put the water dish inside a roasting pan and that way the coop doesn't get so messy and it recycles their water they drink whats spilled out of the dish. I learned this when they were ducklings and I had them in a 55 gallon tote in the bathroom. I couldnt keep up with changing the bedding. I still use the pan in the coop at night and another one for the food so it catches the spilled stuff. Hope that helps. When it gets dark at 530 and they were going to bed early I felt it was too long to be without food and water. What do you guys do?

I tried food and water inside over winter using a tote with a lid cutting a hole so they could stick their heads in to drink and putting the heated bucket inside of that and I wish you could have seen the mess my Runners made wet shaving and frozen too. :hmm

This was my first winter with my ducks. Omg what a nightmare! I bought a heated water dish it was awful. You have to have it in two peices to fill it bC the tiny hold at the bottom to fill it is a rubber plug and u need one hand to hold it open and i cant pour 3gallons w one hand from a jug into a hole way tiny. So then 3 gallons of water would spill in from of the coop bc the bottom wasn't on right. Then im trying to squeegy water away for its not a sheet of ice. Oh im not even done...
So u cant submerge these and so I couldn't use my pan to catch the spill. So then I was chiseling the ice off the coop and the ground bC their wouldn't close. Getting nasty dirty duck water in my face. I got just a little smarter and on a warm day took a flat shovel and regraded the dirt in front of the coop and then no more chiseling. Now I won't even use it. The heat from them in the coop helps and as long as they drink it and move the water it keeps from freezing. Being out of the wind helps too.

I'm so confused... Are you talking about that coop stuff you sprinkle in the coop it supposed to help with moisture and smell? Ive seen that stuff at tractor supply. You put it on the floor of your coop and then pine shavings over it?

Back
Top Bottom