Duck with a broken wing

Need some pictures but just because you can pick it up doesn't mean it is a tame bird. If it ain't it's against the law for you to mess with it. Personally if you have any wildlife rescue I would call them before you do anything else.
She is cuddling with me & eating out of my hand- very friendly, unafraid of people, another reason that DOW wasn’t interested.

They interested or not if it comes back as a wild duck if you are in the US, Canada, or Mexico it's against federal law to mess with or possess any wild duck, it's nest, or eggs.

We aint trying to be mean, we are trying to save you from some major fines and/or jail. Plus it's against the rules here for us to help you commit any crime saving a wild duck.

That make me so angry. Whether it's a duck or an eagle, it's still injured. :mad:

If she turns out to be wild, tell them you'll foster her?

Oh, and since they told you to do whatever you want, doesn't that make you immune to prosecution? :)
No unless they have it in writing on a legal document.

The only way they can be a legal wildlife rehaber is to do the courses. I am and have done the crap. I'm still not licensed to protect federally protected animals.

https://www.fws.gov/law/migratory-bird-treaty-act-1918

I really hope the OP has a tame bird and nothing comes of it. Once again I'm really not trying to be the bad guy or a-hole. Sometimes you have to cross the t and dot the i.

That make me so angry. Whether it's a duck or an eagle, it's still injured. :mad:

Oh, and since they told you to do whatever you want, doesn't that make you immune to prosecution? :)

Wing injuries for wild birds are usually a death sentence. So even if it is a wild bird, and got to a rehabber, it would likely be euthanized. If they can't fly, they can't be released and deemed dead to the population. I worked with a non-releasable birds of prey and most had wing injuries. Only a few places can take them, so they euthanize them.

They also may not have the time and resources to put into animals that are not endangered. They do need to be strategic about what animals they rescue.

I would think they would potentially warn about the legalities if it is a wild animal.

I used to work for a wildlife rehab- not run by DOW. We took in everything, even invasive species do that they couldn't spread disease. We had ducks, parakeets, swifts, doves, pigeons, starlings, jays, crows, owls, hawks, finches, cranes, plovers, egrets.... you name it.

OP - you might look for volunteer organizations. Just an idea.

Back
Top Bottom