Duck with diarrhea

DuckDodgers

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 1, 2013
So it is 9 degrees with a wind chill making it feels like -5. anyway when I let my runners out of the coop this morning one of them had some pretty bad diarrhea. Is that bad for ducks? Or could it b do to the cold? also when I came out this morning my wood ducks where sitting on there frozen pool! I am kinda worried about their little feet getting frost bitten, but I guess if they where cold the would move off the pool? SO my question is should I worry about the duck who had diarrhea this morning, and should I worry about frost bite for their feet?

So it is 9 degrees with a wind chill making it feels like -5. anyway when I let my runners out of the coop this morning one of them had some pretty bad diarrhea. Is that bad for ducks? Or could it b do to the cold? also when I came out this morning my wood ducks where sitting on there frozen pool! I am kinda worried about their little feet getting frost bitten, but I guess if they where cold the would move off the pool? SO my question is should I worry about the duck who had diarrhea this morning, and should I worry about frost bite for their feet?
I'd give your Runners some kind of probiotic, they have them for animals feed stores usually carry them in powder.

I'm thinking till temps go up I'd dump the pool and keep the door open to your duck houses so they can all have access to inside if they want.

I'd give your Runners some kind of probiotic, they have them for animals feed stores usually carry them in powder.

I'm thinking till temps go up I'd dump the pool and keep the door open to your duck houses so they can all have access to inside if they want.

Ok I have poultry nutri drench is that what you are talking about? also I have dumped the pool and the coop is open.

Ok I have poultry nutri drench is that what you are talking about? also I have dumped the pool and the coop is open.
That would be good to give also, then when you are out stop and get some probiotics they are good at getting gut flora normal. She may just be stressed with this horrid weather we're all having hopefully that's all it is. and to me ducks having such watery poop anyway it would be hard for me to differentiate between what's normal and whats not, so just keep an eye on her that she is acting normal other wise. Constant watery poop would give cause for worry.

Last edited:
That would be good to give also, then when you are out stop and get some probiotics they are good at getting gut flora normal. She may just be stressed with this horrid weather we're all having hopefully that's all it is. and to me ducks having such watery poop anyway it would be hard for me to differentiate between what's normal and whats not, so just keep an eye on her that she is acting normal other wise. Constant watery poop would give cause for worry.

OK great I will. also she is acting normal, now what about frost bite for the wood ducks feet? I mean they where sitting on the frozen pool!
th.gif

OK great I will. also she is acting normal, now what about frost bite for the wood ducks feet? I mean they where sitting on the frozen pool!
th.gif
I have read that waterfowl don't have blood flow the same as other creatures including us and they don't get frost bite to their feet and legs. but I'd still keep the water away till it's not freezing around them. I know my flock lays around on their feet and legs alot when the temps get down below freezing so they must feel the cold. I'll see if I can find that info about their legs and feet. Just look at their feet when you get a chance my rooster has frost bite on his wattles and they have turned blk and when it first happened they filled with fluid. He is recovering thank goodness but I think you'd be able to tell pretty quick if there was something not right.
http://askanaturalist.com/why-don’t-ducks’-feet-freeze/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom