duck won't use her duck house

FromTheCity

Chirping
Apr 24, 2015
I seem to have problems with my duck using her house. In her enclosure I have a 15 inch deep by 6 foot pool and the enclosure is 12 x 12. The house itself is 4x3 feet square. I have tried everything to get her to use it even throwing crickets inside (one of her favorite treats!) I am really worried about the bad storms here in SC and even then she won't use the house. The other day, we had winds enough to take down a tree and the rain was horrible. There I was running outside with an umbrella, scooping her up and bringing her inside our house to keep her from getting hurt. Of course my husband just rolled his eyes! After sleeping on the floor to keep her quiet that night, the next morning she went straight outside and ran to her enclosure. Just don't know how to convience her to use it!

Ducks are capable of surviving a wide variety of climatic variations. If she needs to, she will use the shelter. I have had ducks that rarely used shelter even during the winter here in NJ.

I seem to have problems with my duck using her house. In her enclosure I have a 15 inch deep by 6 foot pool and the enclosure is 12 x 12. The house itself is 4x3 feet square. I have tried everything to get her to use it even throwing crickets inside (one of her favorite treats!) I am really worried about the bad storms here in SC and even then she won't use the house. The other day, we had winds enough to take down a tree and the rain was horrible. There I was running outside with an umbrella, scooping her up and bringing her inside our house to keep her from getting hurt. Of course my husband just rolled his eyes! After sleeping on the floor to keep her quiet that night, the next morning she went straight outside and ran to her enclosure. Just don't know how to convience her to use it!
It needs a door so when you scoop her up in the evening and put her inside you can close the door. this will keep her out of in climate weather and also protect her for death or injury from any predators that may like duck dinner.make sure there is good ventilation in her house too a window or 2 with hardware cloth over for protection up high enough the wind won't be hitting her directly.
and Welcome to BYC.

I was thinking about that...I have the doors cut to fit the house already but my husband talked me out of it because of more work. As for predators, I have 3 dogs that watch the duck and the chickens I have. Since they have been guarding the house, there aren't many of the predators around any more. Nor any deer, turkeys etc. for that matter.

I was thinking about that...I have the doors cut to fit the house already but my husband talked me out of it because of more work. As for predators, I have 3 dogs that watch the duck and the chickens I have. Since they have been guarding the house, there aren't many of the predators around any more. Nor any deer, turkeys etc. for that matter.
Well if the doors are already cut ask hubs to finish with a few hinges and a screen door latch and you'll be done. My dogs are inside at night so I use bolt latches and screen door latches that have the slide thing for extra lock.
He may prefer finishing to you bring her inside when weather is bad. lol

Lets put it this way....If he wants any sleep he will! Lol! Thanks for the advise! Heavy rain and hail already tonight...still will not get in the house! Doors will be up tomorrow!

None of my ducks care for housing either. They are in a totally predator-safe enclosure though, so I don't fret much unless it's cold. Even with temps below 20°F they won't go in though - around 0 they finally will...sometimes. The only thing anyone regular uses a house/shelter for is to stand on top of, lol. Once Ruby even laid an egg up there - now that was funny!

Thanks for everyones suggestions! Normally we don't have this type of weather but it seems to be making up for the past! It doesn't seem to bother her. But it scares the heck out of me! Again with the hail!!

Lets put it this way....If he wants any sleep he will! Lol! Thanks for the advise! Heavy rain and hail already tonight...still will not get in the house! Doors will be up tomorrow!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom