Duckling born with no legs

So after seeing how hard this lil is fighting and trying to walk and keep up with her lol brothers and mom I’m going to try to help him so every advice and all the help you can get me it will be awesome thanks

Can you post pictures of were you don't see legs?
So after seeing how hard this lil is fighting and trying to walk and keep up with her lol brothers and mom I’m going to try to help him so every advice and all the help you can get me it will be awesome thanks
If he has no legs, how can he walk? Are there stumps or just nothing were the legs would normally be? Pictures would be very helpful.
I'm so sorry, what a sad situation. I've read threads about prosthetics for chickens that loose there feet to frost bite, and there are chicken walkers for the same situations as well. If he his stumps or anything at all there could be some hope.
I'm all for using wheel chairs/prosthetics to give him a chance, as long as you think you have the time to help him thrive, and he continues to fight and thrive, go for it!

Heres a wheel chair you can buy- https://www.handicappedpets.com/walkin-wheels-duck-wheelchair/

And a photo of some homemade one's using PVC below.
1627928686459.png

Something like the below photo would be good for outdoor use.
1627928740603.png

And someone on Etsy that sells prosthetics- https://www.etsy.com/listing/990917...0212e33ff4987183e692092e4fe77:990917559&frs=1

57BA8621-7274-4E64-9C9A-0DB67EC179B0.png
I’ll try uploading a video later on but it’s amazing how hard he is trying he followed them all over my front yard once they let me grab him again I’ll take pics of the lil one

He'll never make it out there handicapped. Mama can only do so much to protect her ducklings and with this one not being able to keep up he'll eventually get left behind. if your in south Florida there is a muscovy rescue there outside of Miami I believe. @SolarDuck may know how to get in touch with them.

Last edited:
This is a tough case, part of me thinks you should euthanize but then again I know that if it were me I would want to try and spare its life.

It sounds like hes a strong one, but ducks arent like people who are able to quickly adapt to situations like this. They're prey animals who cant survive handicapped in the wild.

So my advice to you is to bring him inside (maybe with one of his siblings) and set up a brooder for him. Theres no reason to put him down before hes given a chance. Ive seen many ducks and chickens live without working legs, one example would be Tiddles the Pteroducktyl on instagram. Hes an adorable duck who lives such a wonderful life indoors even without the ability to walk or move his legs.

Give this little guy a chance, but if he doesnt prove to you that he will be able to live a good quality life, then you can take euthanasia into consideration again.

View attachment 2783138I’ll try uploading a video later on but it’s amazing how hard he is trying he followed them all over my front yard once they let me grab him again I’ll take pics of the lil one
To upload a video, you have to upload it to Youtube then post the link here. You can use other video platforms as well, but BYC doesn't allow you to upload videos directly.

Back
Top Bottom