Duckling cuteness vs color curiosity 😂

KCNC06

Crowing
14 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Central NC
I thought maybe some of y'all might be able to relate. I ended up hatching some ducklings from a mixed breed group of ducks. All the ducklings have the same father but there's a good assortment of potential mom's. The babies are so stinking cute and I'm loving the cute fluffy phase but dang if I'm not curious about what these colors will turn into when they get their big duck feathers! 😂🤣

I thought the dark one with the luchador mask looked black but in the right light I see a hint of dark brown. I sure hope the luchador mask stays because it's hilarious!

The light colored baby... I'm really curious about what that'll turn into. We have a Blue Swedish female but she wasn't anywhere close to this light when she was a baby. Her color looked very similar to the Khaki Campbell ducklings most of the time. This little fluff ball, the tail and wings look silver in person.

Attachments

• DSC_0728~2.JPG
    DSC_0728~2.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC_0738~3.JPG
    DSC_0738~3.JPG
    189.4 KB · Views: 10
Very cute! What is as dad? If he has blue, your light one might be a silver.
Unfortunately I don't know what breed the dad is. I kind of ducknapped him from my mom after the rest of his flock disappeared one night. She doesn't remember what breed or mix he could be. I thought he looked similar to a picture I found while searching the Google, that one was a Welsh Harlequin Ancona mix I think.

This is Laszlo, the dad of the babies

Attachments

• DSC_0109~2.JPG
    DSC_0109~2.JPG
    258.2 KB · Views: 11
Beautiful babies and Dad too. My Black Swedish Call had mated one of my females and the duckling came out to look just like a Black Swedish. It was a drake so I just rehomed both of them.

I thought maybe some of y'all might be able to relate. I ended up hatching some ducklings from a mixed breed group of ducks. All the ducklings have the same father but there's a good assortment of potential mom's. The babies are so stinking cute and I'm loving the cute fluffy phase but dang if I'm not curious about what these colors will turn into when they get their big duck feathers! 😂🤣

I thought the dark one with the luchador mask looked black but in the right light I see a hint of dark brown. I sure hope the luchador mask stays because it's hilarious!

The light colored baby... I'm really curious about what that'll turn into. We have a Blue Swedish female but she wasn't anywhere close to this light when she was a baby. Her color looked very similar to the Khaki Campbell ducklings most of the time. This little fluff ball, the tail and wings look silver in person.
Your guess is as good as any! I agree the second one would probably be blue of some kind. Their colouring can change so much when the adult feathers grow in!

Lovely littles! 🥰

Your guess is as good as any! I agree the second one would probably be blue of some kind. Their colouring can change so much when the adult feathers grow in!

Lovely littles! 🥰
Yeah, they definitely do change quite a bit when the adult feathers come in. One duckling we have who is a little older than these was quite blue as a baby. He's starting to get his big baby feathers now and they're looking more tan than blue. Our Blue Swedish girl tends to look slightly tan in the right light though.

Sadly I haven't had much time for new photo sessions with them since taking these pictures. My husband ended up in the hospital with an accidental gunshot wound to his leg a couple hours after my original post and things have been...hectic since then. 🙄

Oh my gosh I hope he is going to be okay.
He should be ok. There was "extensive" muscle damage to his calf but thankfully no bone or tendon damage. It left a pretty big full thickness wound though. I'm pretty squeamish and seeing muscle move with no skin covering it is quite 🤮. He ended up readmitted to the hospital for a week due to infection and he hasn't been home since the "incident". Between various fur babies, regular duck chaos, duckling brooder in the house...just doesn't seem like a clean enough environment for someone without skin. He's definitely lucky that he was close enough that a friend heard and came running because he was alone when it happened. I went up in the woods where it happened about 5 days later and easily found the blood puddle stain and could still see spatter marks from arterial spray.

Back
Top Bottom