Duckling eye infection??

Maguiresch

Hatching
Nov 13, 2021
F3ED625A-133C-47FA-8B7A-E1E3FE5D071E.jpeg
722E1006-C3D8-4A54-9673-12F185417794.jpeg
Just wondering if this is something to be concerned about and how to fix. It’s like this for both of her eyes :/

Do the ducklings have deep enough water to duck their heads in? They need deep water to keep their eyes and nares clean.

You can give the duck a warm bath to help clean out the eyes. You will want to make sure you dry them off well afterwards. Luke warm saline can also be used to clean the eye out. I tend to use a syringe to flush the eyes out. You don't want to blast them with it, just create a nice steady flow of water. A washcloth soaked in warm water can help soften the crusty build up around the eye. I wouldn't force it off, just give it time to soften and remove. It may take a couple treatments. If you find all that doesn't help, you can use the antibiotic, terramycin, to treat the eye with. You can get it at TSC. Usually the saline and warm water will help clear up something like that.

Do the ducklings have deep enough water to duck their heads in? They need deep water to keep their eyes and nares clean.

You can give the duck a warm bath to help clean out the eyes. You will want to make sure you dry them off well afterwards. Luke warm saline can also be used to clean the eye out. I tend to use a syringe to flush the eyes out. You don't want to blast them with it, just create a nice steady flow of water. A washcloth soaked in warm water can help soften the crusty build up around the eye. I wouldn't force it off, just give it time to soften and remove. It may take a couple treatments. If you find all that doesn't help, you can use the antibiotic, terramycin, to treat the eye with. You can get it at TSC. Usually the saline and warm water will help clear up something like that.
Thanks!! I’ve given them a deep water dish, but the one with the crusty eyes seems like she could care less 🙄 I’ll run to TSC later today. I appreciate it!

Thanks!! I’ve given them a deep water dish, but the one with the crusty eyes seems like she could care less 🙄 I’ll run to TSC later today. I appreciate it!
I would do the bath first and all the other things before ever trying an antibiotic. I don't think the duckling needs an antibiotic and I would give it a few days first. It looks but your pic the duckling is likely a pekin. Pekins are terrible at keeping themselves clean. Giving them a daily warm bath is really the best thing for them, along with saline rinses. I usually find when I raise ducklings, especially Pekin, they clean far better in a bath then their water bowl.

Back
Top Bottom