Duckling is breathing heavily

@lucker @Miss Lydia Hello All, sorry to bother again but I wanted to provide an update, I held the duckie in my hands and brought her to a cooler environment and she was still panting. She has not been like this before and it has only started for 2 days. She was not like this this morning and was running around outside with the other ducks. Is there any other reason than being hot that she feels this way? Should I maybe bring her outside with the ducks for a bit ( I live in florida and the temp right now is

Don't ever feel like your bothering us, how long was she in the cool environment, it'll take a while for them to cool off especially if they are stressed because someone is holding them.

I had a feeling you were in Florida. I stand pieces of cardboard up all around the pool (Sam's Club between pallets cardboard) or get one of those dog fences that come in sections and put it around the pool. When ducklings are really small they can fit right through the dog fence. When they are bigger they can't. I just attach the heat lamp to the dog fence or cardboard.

I usually hatch around the first of June so I don't really have to worry much about dealing with cold issues. I'm sure you don't at this time either.

I had a feeling you were in Florida. I stand pieces of cardboard up all around the pool (Sam's Club between pallets cardboard) or get one of those dog fences that come in sections and put it around the pool. When ducklings are really small they can fit right through the dog fence. When they are bigger they can't. I just attach the heat lamp to the dog fence or cardboard.

I usually hatch around the first of June so I don't really have to worry much about dealing with cold issues. I'm sure you don't at this time either.
Ah i see thank you for explaining!

Don't ever feel like your bothering us, how long was she in the cool environment, it'll take a while for them to cool off especially if they are stressed because someone is holding them.
i put her outside for about 10 min and then moved the heat lamp away further than before. Now she is not panting, and has a calm breathing and is sleeping. I think that she alwYs wants to be near the other ducks because she is easily scared so she doesnt notice that she is overheating. They seem to be content with the lamp not completely being over them as well. Thank you for responding I appriciate it!!

i put her outside for about 10 min and then moved the heat lamp away further than before. Now she is not panting, and has a calm breathing and is sleeping. I think that she alwYs wants to be near the other ducks because she is easily scared so she doesnt notice that she is overheating. They seem to be content with the lamp not completely being over them as well. Thank you for responding I appriciate it!!

Think you have it figured out! You're welcome! Any more questions you have don't hesitate to ask!

Back
Top Bottom