Duckling...is it sick or not sick?

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
I have a 2 day old duckling...none of the others are out yet. Long story on that.

Today it was barely 2 days old and I looked down and it had a whole bunch of drool hanging from its beak. :hmm Then I wiped it away and it spit up again a few minutes later. It wasn't much spit up and it didn't have any food chunks in it. It just looked like slimy clear water. Almost like it had belched a lot.

This might be nothing? I'm not sure to be honest. And I don't want it to go to being counted as such if its not.

My other ducklings that I raised didn't belch or drool. But this is also a runner duckling. The others I don't know if they did or didn't do this. But if they did it, I didn't see it. The second time when I saw it happen it did that think where they shake their heads a couple of times and then spit.

I don't have enough experience yet to know what's an illness and what isn't. Human babies drool. Do ducklings even when not sick? Or is this...?

I don't know also if I was trying to encourage it to eat and feed too much? (Is that even possible with ducks lol.) It has had its first poo several times, though that was drier than the non-runner ducklings I had a few weeks ago.

Advise appreciated. Thank you ahead of time.

Also wasn't sure if this should go here or in the injuries, sickness tab,...

So is the duckling upright and walking/standing okay? is its belly button healed up and non protruding?

What are you feeding it? ive never dealt with this issue so all I can recommend is feeding it starter crumble and watering it down into a soupy mash. And leave the wet food and fresh water out at all times

The wet feed helps their digestive systems and keeps them from choking

Someone with more experients should be on soon, or early in the morning

@Miss Lydia
@WVduckchick
@Isaac 0
@casportpony

Pictures of its poop, and the drool your talking about would be great, and pictures of the duckling itself too

I'll see what I can do.

Doing wet mush starter chick feed and water with it around as much as I can.

The drool has no particulates and no debris. Completely clear, just looks like water from a mouth, clear water in texture and appearance but with a slightly more slimy feel and with a few tiny bubbles in it.

I have a 2 day old duckling...none of the others are out yet. Long story on that.

Today it was barely 2 days old and I looked down and it had a whole bunch of drool hanging from its beak. :hmm Then I wiped it away and it spit up again a few minutes later. It wasn't much spit up and it didn't have any food chunks in it. It just looked like slimy clear water. Almost like it had belched a lot.

This might be nothing? I'm not sure to be honest. And I don't want it to go to being counted as such if its not.

My other ducklings that I raised didn't belch or drool. But this is also a runner duckling. The others I don't know if they did or didn't do this. But if they did it, I didn't see it. The second time when I saw it happen it did that think where they shake their heads a couple of times and then spit.

I don't have enough experience yet to know what's an illness and what isn't. Human babies drool. Do ducklings even when not sick? Or is this...?

I don't know also if I was trying to encourage it to eat and feed too much? (Is that even possible with ducks lol.) It has had its first poo several times, though that was drier than the non-runner ducklings I had a few weeks ago.

Make sure the feed is not medicated as that can make ducklings sick and can be fatal. They need water at all times for the first month or so of their lives and they need water in a dish that’s deep enough for them to submerge their beaks. Hopefully this chickie just has an upset belly, being new to the world and all.

Its possible that maybe part of it was a water problem? There were a few hours earlier where the dish was tipped over. (Not sure if this could be an issue, but just bringing it up as part of figuring it out.)

In my experience, the shaking head motion is most common when they have feed/bedding stuck in their throat/nares, and they are trying desperately to get it out. When you run your hand along the duckling's neck do you feel anything, what kind of bedding are you using, have you noticed them eating some, video of the duckling would be great.

Make sure the feed is not medicated as that can make ducklings sick and can be fatal. They need water at all times for the first month or so of their lives and they need water in a dish that’s deep enough for them to submerge their beaks. Hopefully this chickie just has an upset belly, being new to the world and all.

Medicated feed is fine for ducklings.

In my experience, the shaking head motion is most common when they have feed/bedding stuck in their throat/nares, and they are trying desperately to get it out. When you run your hand along the duckling's neck do you feel anything, what kind of bedding are you using, have you noticed them eating some, video of the duckling would be great.
Thanks!

This morning he seems to be doing better. (Fingers crossed.)

Its possible it was what you said, something stuck in his throat.

Back
Top Bottom