Duckling Leg Injury DIAGNOSIS: Slipped Tendons

For the past two nights we have put Rosie in the smaller kiddie pool they used to use for their brooder. Ella is right next to her in the larger one. It's worked really well, and she seems to like it much better!
So glad to hear that Rosie is making progress! 👍🏻🤞🏻
And Ella is such a great sister duck. How is she doing with the other ducks?

Hi @3bird ! How is Rosie doing today?

The ducklings here have turned into feisty ducknagers, jumping in and out of their kiddie pool brooder at will. Today they knocked at the patio door, demanding breakfast…
We wrote to the vet concerned about the cleanliness of the bandage. We also hate the idea of not looking at the wound or being able to see the foot distal to the surgery site for two whole weeks. We suggested we could rebandage and resplint (we expected to have to do wound care following the surgery), but the vet said to not do anything for two weeks. Thankfully, she said we could bring her in tomorrow, and she would take a look at things.

It's been a busy week, and I have not been online much (too much harvesting and duck care and watering...). Rosie (and Ella) went back to the vet who performed the surgery on Wednesday for a check-up. She removed the bandage to observe the site of the incision. There was some swelling but no seepage. Things looked good. Rosie was bandaged back up and will return next Tuesday, when the bandage and splint may come off.

Rosie went back to the vet yesterday and had her bandage and splint removed. The tendon is in place, which is good. There was some irritation around some of the suture sites, so she got antibiotic ointment, gauze and vet wrap, so probably three more days of no swimming. We have a lot of PT ahead of us, and we now need to decide on next steps, but this was a positive outcome. We'll keep you posted!

Really good news from Rosie! - From here on it will be better and better for her, having loving and caring parents like you.

A little fun episode from here: One of Pinballs babies fell into Mr. Limpy's pool today and needed some help from me to get out. As a thank you Momma duck jumped into the pool and splashed some yucky water all over me…

Back
Top Bottom