Duckling leg problems.

hammond16

In the Brooder
Nov 7, 2016
Missouri
Hello! I'm looking for some advice about my little ducklings, they are approaching 2 months old and we're having some issues...
We incubated some duck eggs a while back and sadly we only had 1 duckling make it out of the lot. So naturally we went to the farm store and bought 3 more ducklings so it wouldn't be lonely. They were all growing quickly and very active and seemed really healthy until a few weeks ago. 2 of the ducks (rouen's) are perfectly healthy and getting HUGE!
1 duck (also a rouen) in having some pretty bad problems walking, I would describe the way it walks as scuttling. It doesn't go in a straight line very well and is constantly tripping over its own feet.
The other duck (a muscovy) has a hard time standing, it stretches it's legs as tall is it can go and arches it's back then ends up going backwards. When it can get itself going it can walk really well but sometimes it also hops like a kangaroo.
I'm worried about the little babies and am hoping someone can help me understand what's going on.
Thanks for reading!

I bought niacin caplets at the store and have been breaking several open and mixing it with their food. I got my information from Metzger farms on how much to give them. It's just so weird that two of them are so healthy but the other two aren't. I've also been having then swim at least once or twice a day to exercise their legs.

What are you feeding them? Have you been adding niacin to their food? Ducklings have much higher niacin requirements than chicks.

thank you for replying! I've been feeding them meat bird crumbles (as per the suggestion of the farm store) and I have been supplementing niacin every day for at least a week..

How much? What niacin supplement are you using? If you just started it now, it's quite possible they were deficient.

They capsules you bought aren't labeled time release or flush free or anything like that are they?

It's not unusual that some would higher niacin needs than others. They all have their individual needs :)

Well I have the niacin that isn't flush free or time released so I guess I will keep feeding it to them and giving them swim time and hope things start to look better soon! :confused:Thank you for your help. Having pets is stressful! Haha

I have a pekin duckling that is walking on one knee and its foot goes outwards abit. The other leg is fine. How can i brace that so when i straighten the legg it stays straight?

Back
Top Bottom