Duckling Rescue Mission: Slipped Tendon

guernsi

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 3, 2013
United States
Hello, yesterday I brought home a Pekin duckling (we think she is 2 months old?) whose right leg has a slipped tendon. The right foot has rotated inward so the bottom of her foot naturally points to her left when her legs hang down, rather than the bottom of her foot point backward with her feet hanging. The joint seems swollen.

She was going to be put down so we decided to take her. Apparently she may have been this way for two weeks. She was unable to move around much so we have taken the weight off her legs (sling) so her legs can have a rest while we try to rotate the leg and get the tendon back in place. She's not too fond of the sling situation.

We have started a good nutrition program - scratch and peck turkey feed, vitamins and electrolytes in water, and some chopped veggies and beet kvass. We are also applying castor oil packs to try to relieve the swelling. We've given her a few opportunities to swim, which she loves and I think will help improve her range of motion with the leg, as well as stretch the tendon which seems very tight. She hangs all the time for now, and we are also applying a small weight to the affected leg at night so it naturally stretches the leg and tendon (helps to rotate it to the natural position).

We tried to set the tendon in place yesterday and splint the leg (it was in an extended position to do this), but her circulation failed. The webbing of the foot darkened to a reddish/purple, so we had to release it.

Does anyone have any experience with this in a chicken or duck? Does she have any hope of walking on this leg? We don't expect her to ever be normal, however, we will need her to be able to get herself around eventually, otherwise I don't see this as a good quality of life. I would take any suggestions since I have no duck experience (only chickens until now).

She is watching Gordy for this morning's entertainment. Poor girl, she just wants to be out and about !

Thank you for your input.

If you can get he leg straight and the tendon in place, she has a slim chance, but if the hock is swollen and damaged, I don't think it can be fixed.

-Kathy

Thanks Kathy. We are going to spend some time stretching and getting the swelling down. There was fluid in the joint, which is much less now with only a day's therapy. We'll just have to wait and see.

Update on our little duckling:

Well folks, the duckling has a lot more energy now. She "swims" in her sling. We actually had to build a better sling/chair for her since she was swimming in the air so vigorously. I guess that added nutrition is doing something.

She swam and bathed in her pool yesterday, took a nap in the sun, and endured a lot of stretching of the leg. We also applied a weight and castor oil pack last night. She is able to bend at the hock (raise her foot to her head) and can move her toes some. I guess it's a good sign that those are still working. I iced the joint yesterday, and it seemed the extra fluid in the joint dissipated for a while but came back later on.

We also added a little bit of homemade bone broth to the regimen for providing building blocks to repair the joint. I am trying to figure out a way to rotate the part of the leg below the hock by applying some kind of splint or pressure, back to a normal position. Does anyone have ideas?

Here she is enjoying eating in her new chair.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and for any advice !

I actually have Rimadyl here, but am extremely hesitant to use it. I discontinued it's use on my dog for an injury after discovering some information about the drug. Here is an article with some stories and statistics: http://www.stevedalepetworld.com/pr...s/archived-features/109-rimadyl-friend-or-foe

From the article: "The FDA Center for Veterinary Medicine (CVM) reports 4,596 Adverse Drug Experiences (ADE) filed by users of Rimadyl, and 651 suspected deaths with Rimadyl being an alleged contributing factor. This is a record number of ADE reports for a drug for pets. In fact, of all the ADE’s filed in 1998 with the FDA/CVM, 43 percent targeted Rimadyl."

That's not to say it's a bad drug, I really don't know. But it's not a risk I will take again now knowing about the possible side effects. I don't have any Metacam on hand... and doubt I could convince a vet to give me some where I live now.

Do you think she is in pain? How would I read pain in a duck? As for inflammation - do you see any harm in trying turmeric? ginger? cinnamon? garlic? cayenne? I could probably get her to eat some of these...she is a duck after all !

I was thinking that it would be good for swelling, but don't know much about dosing for chickens. My avian vets have given me Metacam, but I think the have also mentioned Rimadyl. Not suggesting that you give it, and like you, I also have it for my dog, but I only give it to her when she's really sore.

-Kathy

You actually seem like the type that might enjoy the whole book set:

Clinical Avian Medicine

Greg Harrison, DVM, Dipl ABVP-Avian, Dipl ECAMS and Teresa Lightfoot, DVM, Dipl ABVP-Avian, have compiled the expertise and experience of 50 international contributing authors (and 50 reviewers) to produce an extraordinary two-volume reference, with over 1000 pages of text and over 1300 color images, for veterinarians and other avian health professionals.
The purpose of the book Clinical Avian Medicine is to provide some highlights of emerging thoughts, techniques and procedures that are currently being assimilated into avian practice.
These are printable .pdf's: Click here to download Adobe Acrobat Reader
00ae.png
for free

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom