Duckling respiratory problem spreading quickly

Diveks

Songster
6 Years
Jul 14, 2017
Indonesia
hey everyone, i have posted about these ducklings but i might have posted about the wrong symptoms and only one of them had it. So they are about a week old, two of them i haven't had as long as one as the lone one had lost a sibling. the sibling that died was a bit lethargic but not overly concerning but one day when it was eating it just started having seizures. I worry for my remaining ducklings that they might go the same way. The one that died didn't have their symptoms though ive had 3 young hens i was quarantining died from sneezing.

About 3 days ago i heard them sneezing (i am almost 24/7 with them). only 6 times the whole day, but the day after they started sneezing a lot more. and today they have discharge from their noses. they can clean their noses in the water and i change their bedding every 2 days, and i tried changing the type too but no improvement. I do bathe them every 2 days but today when they got in the water they immidiately wanted to go out which is unusual. i am unable to go to an avian vet as lockdown won't let me go out of town. while the vet here has misdiagnosed my chicken and it sadly died. The ducklings do not look or act like anything is wrong. running around, eating, drinking.

what can i do i don't want to loose the ducklings. what could this be, i am not familiar with duck diseases

I'm sorry for you're losses, we need more info.
How old are they, what do you keep them in? What do they eat? Do they have a heat lamp or something?

I'm sorry for you're losses, we need more info.
How old are they, what do you keep them in? What do they eat? Do they have a heat lamp or something?
they are a week old, they are on wood shavings. Chick starter with brewers yeast added. And yes they do have a heatlamp.
Do you have a heat lamp for them?
Yes they do have a heatlamp i am with them a lot because i put their brooder near my working area. They do not seem cold as they do tend to spread out sometimes not just huddle together

When my ducklings were little one of them had similar symptoms. I woke up and went to pick them up and one sneezed and mucous/clear discharge came out of his nostrils. What we did was make sure they were warm enough and it went away with a couple days. I’m not sure if it’s what your ducklings have but hopefully you can get more answers on here!

When my ducklings were little one of them had similar symptoms. I woke up and went to pick them up and one sneezed and mucous/clear discharge came out of his nostrils. What we did was make sure they were warm enough and it went away with a couple days. I’m not sure if it’s what your ducklings have but hopefully you can get more answers on here!
im hoping that is what it is, i can try changing their bulb to a warmer one and see how they respond, they do seem content with this one but ill update how they respond.

Update if anyone is having the same problems as i was:
Im positive their bedding is the cause for most of the sneezing. I wanted to try out the chips i use on my reptiles and it worked! They do keep their feets dry although not as well as wood shavings so i need to change them up more often. It is worth it though since they stopped sneezing. This was my first time buying that brand (although it does not actually have a brand but i needed it urgently). I have switched them to aspen and now wood pellets since they soiled shavings too much and the pellets absorb more water. They are now doing great, growing quickly. I moved them to a larger brooder.

Back
Top Bottom