Duckling seems to have no vent?

Jemima Duck

Chirping
Jun 10, 2019
So I hatched out two adorable baby ducklings on the 10th, they have been seeming to do very well in general, and I had no concerns until I decided I might try to sex them. One of the ducklings seems to not have a vent at all, only a strange nub. I know this nub isn't the umbilical cord thing, because that is a little bit above the nub, and has been healing very well.
The duckling in question is smaller than it's sibling (although they have different mothers, and the smaller ducklings mother is a small runner in general), and has been eating a little from what I have seen. I'm not sure if it has pooped at all, though there is a lot of poop in their brooder. I have also noticed the duckling with the nub is a lot more needy, calling out to be held a lot more than it's sibling (at the start I figured it could be personality, or even their genders being different, but I am now concerned it's related to the nub), though I must note it doesn't shout all the time.

I'm honestly not sure what to do, It's my first time hatching and so I'm not sure what's normal and what isn't.

(Ignore the weird colour on my thumb in the photo, I have been painting haha)

Edited to add I can add more pictures if needed

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20191014_011752.jpg
    IMG_20191014_011752.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 58
Get a big bowl, or use the sink or bathtub. Make sure to rinse it very well so theres so soap, fill it with a few inches of warm water and put the little duckling in and wait for it to poop

wait for it too poop, if it can. Also mixing their crumble feed with water can help digestion. just mix it to soupy porridge

That picture looks like a normal bung hole to me
i hope it can poop! Goodluck with your babies

Get a big bowl, or use the sink or bathtub. Make sure to rinse it very well so theres so soap, fill it with a few inches of warm water and put the little duckling in and wait for it to poop

wait for it too poop, if it can. Also mixing their crumble feed with water can help digestion. just mix it to soupy porridge

Looks normal to me too.

Thank you for your reply, I have already given the babies a little bath today, though I didn't look to see if the one with the nub pooped. Do you think it would be alright to do it tomorrow? It's 2am here and I think they'd wake everyone up haha. Though something else to note is that the nub-duck doesn't seem to like the water anywhere near as much as the other duckling. The other duckling was even diving under!

Could you possibly get a closer puc of it. It's hard to see it through the feathers.
Thank you also, I will get a closer picture in a minute, though I suppose I should have specified that the nub-vent is the lighter/closer nub in the photo

Phew, thank you for your input too. It's just that I was able to use the vent sexing method with the other duck, yet this duckling's vent seemed to not open, even using the exact same (soft) pressure I used to sex the other duckling.
Well.. I don't have much experience with vent sexing.. But it looks fine in the picture. I sure hope it is. :fl

Could you possibly get a closer puc of it. It's hard to see it through the feathers.
Hey, I can't really get a better closer image of it while trying to hold the chick with one hand and take the picture with the other :(. My issue is that it seems to protrude out of the duck's body, as opposed to being a hole

Back
Top Bottom