Duckling seizure

Gerty0630

Songster
Jan 15, 2019
SE, Michigan
Hello my fellow duck peoples! Let me start this off by saying apparently I have the world's worst luck with ducks! So my current issue: I have a 4 week old Cayuga who is currently staying in a brooder inside my house with another two 4 week old babies. I purchased them all from Meyer Hatchery. Anyway - last night I step into their brooder to begin picking them up so I can bring them to the tub for a swim. They were all laying down in a huddle. As soon as I reached for her, her legs went back, her neck went back, and she kind of started convulsing. I thought maybe she was just freaking out because she was afraid of me but I picked her up and she did not change positions or stop. So I put her back down in the brooder and she layed on her side continuing to convulse - this all happened very quickly - perhaps a minute or so. I picked her back up and she snapped out of it but was still very still and very quiet. I took her over to the tub, put her in, and she did swim around pretty normally. I have read a couple threads on BYC of people who have had this issue and read that some people suggest it's a niacin deficiency. These ducklings all get nutritional yeast sprinkled on their food once a day. Should I maybe give this girl liquid b complex every day to really kick up her niacin? I've also seen it could be some metal toxicity thing but these ducklings literally stay in the brooder 24/7. It is not warm enough in Michigan yet to allow them outside adventures yet. She is 4 weeks old and I have never seen her do this before. The ducklings eat non-medicated starter crumble, 20% protein since I know someone is bound to ask that haha. Anyone with any experience or suggestions?

Last edited:
It's hard to tell why the duckling is having seizures. Is your brooder in the kitchen or anywhere near a stove?
What kind of light bulb are you using in their heat lamp?
Teflon (polytetrafluoroethylene) poisoning is something you could consider.

Potential sources of Teflon poisoning:
Non stick pans
Self cleaning oven
Hair dryers (certain types)
Non-stick irons and ironing board covers
Waffle irons
Heat lamp covers
LightBulbs
Stain repellants such as Scotchgard™)
Space heaters and ceramic stoves

It's hard to tell why the duckling is having seizures. Is your brooder in the kitchen or anywhere near a stove?
What kind of light bulb are you using in their heat lamp?
Teflon (polytetrafluoroethylene) poisoning is something you could consider.

Potential sources of Teflon poisoning:
Non stick pans
Self cleaning oven
Hair dryers (certain types)
Non-stick irons and ironing board covers
Waffle irons
Heat lamp covers
LightBulbs
Stain repellants such as Scotchgard™)
Space heaters and ceramic stoves
They are in the very front room of my house.. it's kind of an "office" of sorts, nothing is in that room aside from papers. This room and the kitchen is separated by my living room. I'm not sure what kind of heat bulb I have.. it is from TSC....? Now I'm really confused haha.

** edit - this is the heat bulb...
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/producers-pride-2-pack-120v-e26-250w-red-heat-bulbs

Last edited:
I made a mesh out of my feed and added the mls of b complex to that with mushed up boiled egg. I did this for their the morning meal. Because for what ever reason mine wouldn’t eat the treats covered in b complex and the egg had certainly nutritious benefits that help absorb things better as well as other benefits that helped with seizure like actions. Vitamins E and selenium but I wasn’t brave enough to supplement them and used natural resources to get them into my duckling when he was really bad. He has both seizures and wry neck I realize looking back.

Was the pen dark and then bright? Fear and brightness from dark to light can cause that to happen.
Nope! Same amount of light in their brooder, always. I feel like I triggered it somehow which is why I'm confused. She was fine, and is always fine with me on the outside of the brooder (they were just moved to this brooder at the end of last week) so this is the first time I've stepped INSIDE the brooder to get her. And it began right as I was reaching for her.

Nope! Same amount of light in their brooder, always. I feel like I triggered it somehow which is why I'm confused. She was fine, and is always fine with me on the outside of the brooder (they were just moved to this brooder at the end of last week) so this is the first time I've stepped INSIDE the brooder to get her. And it began right as I was reaching for her.
Fear I'm thinking she was over stimulated so always announcing yourself first helps and Talking..

Back
Top Bottom