Duckling with Wry neck

PerezFarm

Hatching
May 22, 2020
I have a ducklings that has wry neck, I have given her Vitamins B, E and Selenium. She doesn't seem to be getting better, she will flip her head back to the point she flips on her back and then she can't flip herself back up right. I placed her in another broader box from the other ducklings and she just Squeaks so much until I put her back in with them, but then they all either run all over her or stay on the other side of the box away from her.
I'm not sure what to with her, she's not getting better and I'm not sure what else I can do for her.

Attachments

• 20200522_112537.jpg
    20200522_112537.jpg
    400.9 KB · Views: 64
Hi, there! :frow Welcome to BackYard Chickens!

I'm sorry to hear your duckling is having problems, it'd be very helpful if you could answer a few of my questions. Where did you acquire her, what is she being fed, has she had any damage to the head or neck area recently, could she have been in contact with anything toxic, are the other duckling's showing symptoms, what dosage have you been giving the E, B, and selenium at, how often, how long, and how are you administering it?

Wry Neck is not a disease, but rather a symptom of many diseases, such as viral, bacterial, malnutrition, neurological, toxin ingestion, and few more. The point is without testing done by an avian vet finding the sole cause of her problems solely relying on anamnesis and physical examination will prove fairly ineffective in most cases. Rapid recovery after a dose of vitamin's is a diagnosis that the bird was malnourished, but since your's isn't showing any improvements it makes me think it's possibly neurological damage, as most likely by now the other duckling would's be showing similar symptoms if it were bacterial or viral.

I think an avian vet would be your best course of action, they may be able to perform advanced supportive therapy, as well as perform diagnostic testing such as CBC, Biochemistries, specific test ‘s for detecting levels of toxins, radiographs, electroencephalograms, electromyograms, auditory evoke potentials, CT scans, and MRI. These tests can be used to make a more confident diagnosis of the nature of your ducklings problem.

I had a chick with stargazer neck.. I scrambles eggs and added chick crumble to it. I had to give it tiny very tiny bites to help. Within a day it was better..
Try bracing it so it it sitting up right also.
good luck.

Hi, there! :frow Welcome to BackYard Chickens!

I'm sorry to hear your duckling is having problems, it'd be very helpful if you could answer a few of my questions. Where did you acquire her, what is she being fed, has she had any damage to the head or neck area recently, could she have been in contact with anything toxic, are the other duckling's showing symptoms, what dosage have you been giving the E, B, and selenium at, how often, how long, and how are you administering it?

Wry Neck is not a disease, but rather a symptom of many diseases, such as viral, bacterial, malnutrition, neurological, toxin ingestion, and few more. The point is without testing done by an avian vet finding the sole cause of her problems solely relying on anamnesis and physical examination will prove fairly ineffective in most cases. Rapid recovery after a dose of vitamin's is a diagnosis that the bird was malnourished, but since your's isn't showing any improvements it makes me think it's possibly neurological damage, as most likely by now the other duckling would's be showing similar symptoms if it were bacterial or viral.

I think an avian vet would be your best course of action, they may be able to perform advanced supportive therapy, as well as perform diagnostic testing such as CBC, Biochemistries, specific test ‘s for detecting levels of toxins, radiographs, electroencephalograms, electromyograms, auditory evoke potentials, CT scans, and MRI. These tests can be used to make a more confident diagnosis of the nature of your ducklings problem.

I hatched her from our Ducks here on the farm no she has not come in contact from any toxins or trauma. But when she was hatched she still had what I would call the umbilical attached. I have been given the Vitamins is one 1tabs from each bottle I bought down the supplement aisle at Walmart. I also gave a little b12 and iron from my vials i have for our goats not big doses. The other vitamins and i also bought a bird multivitamin from the store i give in water and or crush up food with the pills and mix it together, I also have added a drop or 2 of molasses to make it sweet and for the sugars to spunk her up. I have even fed her duck egg yolk from the daily egg pick up from the coops. Im at a lost for words I just don't know what to do anymore. We also don't have a avian Vet around my area and my grandparents are farms and asked them and they said I'm probably off putting her to sleep. But I can't do that bc other then the next issue she's so sweet and loves to cuddle in my neck and........OK I've bonded with her.

Attachments

• 20200518_071904.jpg
    20200518_071904.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 29
I had a chick with stargazer neck.. I scrambles eggs and added chick crumble to it. I had to give it tiny very tiny bites to help. Within a day it was better..
Try bracing it so it it sitting up right also.
good luck.
I also have fed her duck egg yolk from our other duck eggs.

I hatched a duckling bout 2 weeks ago and hatched with a wry neck just found out what was wrong with it eats and drinks good plays in the tub with the other duck I kept with it runs around the bin like nothing but I read I could give molasses what can I do

Attachments

• F2D0713C-A6EE-4422-9ECD-1D980B0BEA63.jpeg
    F2D0713C-A6EE-4422-9ECD-1D980B0BEA63.jpeg
    191 KB · Views: 23

Back
Top Bottom