Ducklings found help identifying

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bantymama, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Bantymama

Bantymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    MN
    My sil found these 2 babies in her drive way and got them before the cat did. She looked around for the mama and could not find her so she put them under a light and called me to see if i could take them. And i could not say no to a baby. My first thought is wood duck but im not sure. Any guesses. Their tail feathers like a fan, they have long sleander beaks and they can jump high up. Oh and they are very loud.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

3. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    also could be a merganser the beak looks like a merganser bill

4. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    almost positive they are mergansers
    I found the same picture as sundownwaterfowl but they say merganser [​IMG] do a image search on hooded merganser ducklings

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

now that I see that I think it is a hooded merganser duckling

6. nutmeggie

nutmeggie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    ohhh. I looked up the hooded merganser duck. Those are beautiful ducks. Wood ducks are beautiful also. Are you going to raise them and keep them?

7. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Oh, wow. I just looked up "hooded meranser duck" and I found out the kind of ducks I saw on my mother's pond! When I saw them a crept back to the house to get the camera but they saw be sneaking back and flew off before I could snap a pic. I was so very dissapointed.

I know it sounds bad, but why can't some abandoned ducklings wander my way? LOL. People are showing all these pics of some they found and they are all adoreable!

-Kim

8. debbyluvschickens

debbyluvschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    eastern arkansas
    I know what you mean, if the little wild things have to get lost, why cant it be in MY driveway?? lol

9. Alaska animal lover

Alaska animal lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Palmer, Alaska
    No Kidding, I never find anything good. My DH wouldn't believe me if I did!

10. Bantymama

Bantymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    MN
    Does any one know how to raise these little ones. They have no intrest in the food. I gave them water and starter feed and dipped thier beaks in it. They are scared and very defensive. I try to pick them up and they peck at my hands.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by