Ducklings hatching on the wrong end?

EmmaGRS

Songster
May 31, 2021
Currently I have a duckling hatching from the wrong end. It’s pipped, I was worried it wouldn’t but it has. The air sac is on the other end. So far it seems as if it’s doing fine. I’ve seen other threads on situations like this, and it doesn’t seem too difficult of a problem. If I need to assist it, I can.

But I have another duck egg, that’s supposed to hatch soon, but the air sac is on the small end. It hasn’t started hatching yet, but is there any difference if the air sac is on that end? And does anyone know “side affects” I guess of a duckling hatching on the wrong end? I’ve seen many instances where they’re fine and several not. Just wondering!

Currently I have a duckling hatching from the wrong end. It’s pipped, I was worried it wouldn’t but it has. The air sac is on the other end. So far it seems as if it’s doing fine. I’ve seen other threads on situations like this, and it doesn’t seem too difficult of a problem. If I need to assist it, I can.

But I have another duck egg, that’s supposed to hatch soon, but the air sac is on the small end. It hasn’t started hatching yet, but is there any difference if the air sac is on that end? And does anyone know “side affects” I guess of a duckling hatching on the wrong end? I’ve seen many instances where they’re fine and several not. Just wondering!
I have never seen or heard of an egg having an air cell on the small end. Can you post a candling photo?
Sometimes they can hatch from the wrong end without trouble but you may want to be ready to assist in case it stalls out.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

I have never seen or heard of an egg having an air cell on the small end. Can you post a candling photo?
Sometimes they can hatch from the wrong end without trouble but you may want to be ready to assist in case it stalls out.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/
B97752BD-5892-4F50-B8F3-1FE17719D7B5.jpeg
Here’s the candling image. Looking at it again, it almost seems as if it’s dead, but I see a lot of veins so I’m going to leave it got a little. For the other one, that pipped on the wrong end, there’s been no progress and I tried peeling the egg shell, and once I got through to it it started chirping. But it is very weak. How can I tell if I need to intervene on something like this? I’m unsure how to tell if it’s ready to hatch or not.

View attachment 2728297Here’s the candling image. Looking at it again, it almost seems as if it’s dead, but I see a lot of veins so I’m going to leave it got a little. For the other one, that pipped on the wrong end, there’s been no progress and I tried peeling the egg shell, and once I got through to it it started chirping. But it is very weak. How can I tell if I need to intervene on something like this? I’m unsure how to tell if it’s ready to hatch or not.
That is so strange.
I am tempted to say it's not alive but it's not going to hurt anything to wait and see if you think you see veins.

For the other one, I would just proceed to assist slowly. Just try and keep the bill exposed where it can breathe. If it is yawning and chewing it's usually still absorbing yolk. Most of the time if they are truly ready to hatch and cannot they will start chirping a lot and throwing a fit.

That is so strange.
I am tempted to say it's not alive but it's not going to hurt anything to wait and see if you think you see veins.

For the other one, I would just proceed to assist slowly. Just try and keep the bill exposed where it can breathe. If it is yawning and chewing it's usually still absorbing yolk. Most of the time if they are truly ready to hatch and cannot they will start chirping a lot and throwing a fit.
It definitely is strange. I had another egg where the air cell was weirdly on the side of the egg, not either end. It got pretty far but unfortunate died in the egg. I’ll definitely wait a bit just to see.
As for the other one, I did try to assist it and I made a hole so I could see the beak. I was worried it wasn’t alive but once I made the hole I could hear and see it. I put it back in the incubator, and I’ll wait a bit. On the thread you linked earlier, it said you can open the air cell on the other end and add coconut oil to the membrane to see if the veins had receded. Should I try that after a while?

It definitely is strange. I had another egg where the air cell was weirdly on the side of the egg, not either end. It got pretty far but unfortunate died in the egg. I’ll definitely wait a bit just to see.
As for the other one, I did try to assist it and I made a hole so I could see the beak. I was worried it wasn’t alive but once I made the hole I could hear and see it. I put it back in the incubator, and I’ll wait a bit. On the thread you linked earlier, it said you can open the air cell on the other end and add coconut oil to the membrane to see if the veins had receded. Should I try that after a while?
That's what I would do if it were mine. I was going to ask if there was an air cell you could open on that one. Once you moisten that membrane that will help you watch the veins to see when the blood has been absorbed.

Were these eggs shipped? I hatched some weeks ago a dozen of very mistrated-during-shipping eggs for a friend (2 cracked, 6 fertile and 2 hatched). Even with all the efforts lots of cells remained saddle shaped and some of them (which arrived with detached air cells) had the cells that reattached on one side even though I left the eggs rest without rotating and incubated vertically.

That's what I would do if it were mine. I was going to ask if there was an air cell you could open on that one. Once you moisten that membrane that will help you watch the veins to see when the blood has been absorbed.
X2

Were these eggs shipped? I hatched some weeks ago a dozen of very mistrated-during-shipping eggs for a friend (2 cracked, 6 fertile and 2 hatched). Even with all the efforts lots of cells remained saddle shaped and some of them (which arrived with detached air cells) had the cells that reattached on one side even though I left the eggs rest without rotating and incubated vertically.

X2
They weren’t shipped, my ducks outside laid them and I incubated them. I’m unsure how the air cells got the way they are, I think one I didn’t turn enough, and the other I have no clue. It’s really strange.

Back
Top Bottom