Ducklings

pnewman

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 15, 2013
Hello

I posted last Sunday about my new born ducklings.
I have blur runners (8) mallards (2) and Guineas (11)
They were hatched in the coop since last Sunday the 4 died 2 were stepped on or killed in the pen the other two were dead in the nest.
Since then my wife has been bringing in the new born's we now have 2 in the kitchen one from last Sunday night and one from today or last night.
The 6 day old keeps pecking on the one day old, will they be OK ? The other was very lonely but does not seem to like the new one.
I have 4 more day old's coming in the mail next week Swedish blacks.
My wife is very concerned about there well being.

Also the mothers are not happy when we take there young but the cannot keep them alive.

Thank you for the feed back

Paul

when you introduce ducklings to each other..they will be mean at first..as long as they are not really more than a week or so older than the new ones then at first they'll be me..but withing a day they'll accept them and be part of the flock..once the ducklings are a couple weeks old or more..then it's about impossible to get them to do anything more than tolerate each other..just keep an eye on them and i think the small onces will be fine.

Thanks they are already not trying to eat each other.
last fall I added 6 runners to my flock raised them from day old's.
The were hated at first but during the cold months here in Michigan somehow they all became friends.
My whole flock was only one year old, do you think i will have problem when I introduce these 6 ?

Thanks they are already not trying to eat each other.
last fall I added 6 runners to my flock raised them from day old's.
The were hated at first but during the cold months here in Michigan somehow they all became friends.
My whole flock was only one year old, do you think i will have problem when I introduce these 6 ?
introducing young ducklings to adult ducks takes time, I wouldn't just go out there and toss them in with them, kinda like throwing them to the lions so to speak, do it gradual with some kind of divider fencing of some kind so they can see but not touch after a few weeks to a few days they will get use to each other depends on the ducks as to how fast they get use to each other. Have times during the day when your there and throwing treats they can all be together. it really does help to integrate them.

I choose first 1 of my mild non aggressive females to hang out for the day with my ducklings, then the next day I'll add another. Then I rotate my adults, one or two at a time into the day pen with the ducklings. Starting about age 3 weeks. But ML is exactly correct: takes a long time. Don't leave them with your drakes, that's asking for trouble.

Back
Top Bottom