Ducks And Chickens Together

What??!! My Drake may try to breed the hens? Wow he is HUGE that is going to be a big problem.
he.gif
Right now the hens chase him around but I did see him and my big rooster having a bit of a fight the other day. I watched to make sure it did not get out of hand but it will soon be spring here and the first breeding season for my pair of Muscovy. I also have a "hen" that started crowing recently. OK two more coops and runs for me. It seems I will be fencing from now until spring. At this rate I am going to end up with pens all over my horse pasture. Good thing I only have one very old horse left!

From the reading I've done, (have had ducks, and chickens, but never both species at the same time) a drake will mount a female chicken, and the experience may kill the chicken, because duck and chicken sexual anatomy are very different. While ducks have a penis, chickens do not, and were not designed to be bred in that fashion.

Ok i have a question my chickens are acting different i have one missing no trace they are in a inclosed area with no way in or out. There are 13 now and they are only producing 4 to 6 eggs a day if that. When i went out to check on them lastnight and this morning they are making a clicking noise as tge kinda snap there heads?

Ok i have a question my chickens are acting different i have one missing no trace they are in a inclosed area with no way in or out. There are 13 now and they are only producing 4 to 6 eggs a day if that. When i went out to check on them lastnight and this morning they are making a clicking noise as tge kinda snap there heads?

I'd start a new thread in the health section so your post doesn't get lost, to discuss those symptoms!
If a chicken is missing, I'd worry something got in. Look for a tunnel, etc.

Back
Top Bottom