Ducks and Geese Disappearing

Brooke_R

Crowing
Sep 15, 2020
This summer, three of my ducks disappeared within a matter of two weeks. Then, two more disappeared a couple of months ago. They have all disappeared sometime in the middle of the day. Not a trace was left of them. No feathers (or any extra that I could tell when they were molting). They are either in the pond or right next to it 90% of the time too so whatever is getting them would have to be very fast. Also, a couple of them have been larger birds. A pekin and a Rouen. One of them has also been a little mallard who could fly. A couple of months ago after those two disappeared, I got two geese to help protect them during the day and a plastic skeleton I put clothes on and have standing at the pond where they hangout. It looks a LOT like an actual person. No more had disappeared until a couple of days ago. One of my Pekins (my biggest one too) disappeared in the evening. And it was within about thirty minutes in between me feeding them and going back out to check on them. This morning around 10:00, I go outside to check on them and one of my geese is gone. A big African goose. Not a single feather was left behind and I looked all around. I assumed it was something like a bobcat, fox, or coyote but how could one of those just grab such a heavy goose and carry it away without any fight? Or leaving any feathers from dragging it? I’m so confused on what this could be or how there is no trace of any of them. Does anyone know what it could be? There aren’t bears where I live. I think bobcats, coyotes, and foxes are the largest predators where I live

42E33418-1188-4745-ABAC-24444C927660.jpeg
The ducks got in their coop last night

A hungry fox would be pretty motivated.
That being said, I would have expected to at least find a few feathers.
I'm sorry for all your losses. That's so frustrating.
Are you able to put up cameras?
Thank you. And yes we have a trail camera but I don’t think it has batteries. I’ll see if I can move it and get it to work

I have a friend with a small pond, fed by a small stream. He tried to keep ducks and geese, but like you they all slowly disappeared without a trace. He tried with 3 different flocks, all with the same result.
It turns out his pond is also a haven for a family of mink that use it along with a section of river not far away.
It also may be Fox, coyote or bobcat that may also be picking off your flock when opportunity presents itself.
Sorry for your loss!

I have a friend with a small pond, fed by a small stream. He tried to keep ducks and geese, but like you they all slowly disappeared without a trace. He tried with 3 different flocks, all with the same result.
It turns out his pond is also a haven for a family of mink that use it along with a section of river not far away.
It also may be Fox, coyote or bobcat that may also be picking off your flock when opportunity presents itself.
Sorry for your loss!
Thank you. I’m not sure if there are mink where I live but I’ll Google it and see

I’ve figured out what’s been getting my ducks and geese. I almost got them into the coop tonight but they weren’t having it and took off flying back into the pond 🙁 the coyote was right at the edge of the pond here. There’s another picture of it going down to the bank, probably trying to get my ducks.
E35B3669-C920-41DF-8B2A-31906F7BD98F.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom