Ducks are scared!

OH2MA

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2015
Howdy,
I have 4 beautiful Swedish Blue hens that have become terrified of their duck house after several months of no problems. I scratch it up to squirrels that had been running around in adjacent hazelnut trees. Any guesses as to how long until they stop being so afraid? The squirrels have cleaned out the trees. The ducks sit in the exact same spot as they were hearded into each night and don't touch their food or water. Certainly not a life threatening situation, but it does make me want them to feel at home/safe. Any comments?

Well, squirrels - I think of them as busy in the daytime. So, there may be something else going on - like a predator that has been watching the squirrels and the ducks.

Do you have or can you borrow a game camera? Vickers58 used one and got a photo of the bobcat walking right by the duck house.

When my Runners are nervous, I assume that there is something going on.

Yep, I'd say something is up. How old are they? Mine were briefly afraid of their kiddie pool when they went to get in one morning and found a dead chipmunk. Yes, I cried and have since put things in the pool so chipmunks or whatever can climb out. Anyway, I just had to slowly coax them back in later that day with treats. I realize your situation is more serious, but some soothing and treats might help. Good luck!

They seem to be cautious about anything they do - drinking water, eating, moving around the yard, going into their coop. And probably for good reason: they have absolutely no way to defend themselves and not a particularly adept manner of fleeing. I do have a game cam but so far have not seen anything other than me and the ducks. Sometimes I do need to lure them to their water with meal worms or corn. We have to be careful about leaving the hose out or anything novel because the ducks won't go in that part of the yard. It's fascinating to watch them interact with their environment. They are about 16 weeks old and have been outside for 10 weeks.

The coop is bullet proof - a lotta hardware cloth, etc. out in the yard they are surrounded by a 7 ft high deer fence (1" heavy gage chicken wire). By yard I mean backyard, so it is open to the sky. Yes, red tailed Hawks are around but they don't appear to go for the ducks or chickens. Each passing plane gets the hairy eye. Our kids don't chase them and our cat steers clear. Coons, skunks, and a fisher could cruise through at night but in 6 years we haven't lost any chickens to them. Perhaps mice are mincing about in the duck coop straw?

Mice, snakes? I know there have been a few times when the ducks were making their alarm call and for the life of me, I could not see what was worrying them. I just checked to be sure everyone was accounted for, that the day pen was secure, talked to them, hung out for a bit till they calmed down.

Then sometimes I do see what's worrying them. A stray cat nearby, the crows are mobbing a hawk….

It's pretty cool how much more aware of the world they are relative to me. When I sit with them I definitely tap into it, too. Garter snakes are around and I bet that's what it is, I guess I will make the coop secure for theses little guys too.

Back
Top Bottom