Ducks cannot walk

Quacking Pigeon

Crowing
Mar 12, 2018
NSW, Australia
My Coop
My Coop
I was wondering what two of my Cayuga Ducks may have, as I haven’t had it before and it only seems to be these ducks.

They are really thin, and their legs are more outward then they are supposed to be. When they were younger they used to be able to walk a bit, but now can’t walk at all. One of them used to have diarrhoea on itself, and a foamed up eye.

I cannot get any pictures at the moment as it is pouring down with rain.

If anyone knows what condition they may have I'd appreciate it.

It sounds like Marek's Disease. I had a turkey who also had foam in 1 eye. He eventually went lame and couldn't walk and then developed labored breathing. I couldn't bear to watch him die so I had him out to sleep. I would separate them from the rest of your flock. I'm so so sorry about your duckies:(

@Quacking Pigeon did you ever supplement with b complex or niacin when your ducks were ducklings? Sounds like it’s nutritional,waterfowl need niacin to have strong legs and can become lame if they suffer very long from it. Do you feed a water fowl feed or feed formulated for chickens? Put their food and water close so they can eat with out struggle. Bowed legs pigeon toes lameness even neurological problems can develop from niacin deficiency.

@Quacking Pigeon did you ever supplement with b complex or niacin when your ducks were ducklings? Sounds like it’s nutritional,waterfowl need niacin to have strong legs and can become lame if they suffer very long from it. Do you feed a water fowl feed or feed formulated for chickens? Put their food and water close so they can eat with out struggle. Bowed legs pigeon toes lameness even neurological problems can develop from niacin deficiency.
I’m pretty sure I was giving them a broiler starter or grower. Issue is things don’t say if they have niacin over here. I’ve raised ducks on it plenty of times without issues. My current ducklings are on a chick and duckling starter. And the water was close to the feed.

I’d start feeding your Cayuga the duckling starter and see how they are doing in a week. Also I’d be looking for b complex you can buy human tablet or liquid if you can’t find livestock. How old are these ducks? How long have you had them?

Back
Top Bottom