Ducks don’t like me.

If they're only three weeks old then they're probably just going through a bratty teenager phase. Did they imprint on you? If they imprint on you they will be inseparable and will practically fall asleep in your hand as soon as it's around them. You might try holding them at dusk, right when they're about to fall asleep. For some reason this seems to be the best way of taming chickens, maybe it'll work on ducks too:confused:
When they hatched I was the first one they saw and handled them, they used to chase me around the house and chirp super loud whenever I wasn’t around them, and then we started putting them outside during the day and now they want nothing to do with me and always run away, I pick them up and they fight to get out of my hands

@Callender Girl has a good point . Ducks will be ducks . The best way to learn is observe, try and understand the best you can what they are doing, cause and effect . This summer my wild mallards wouldn't come near us I asked myself why ? a few days later I found one dead a snapping turtle had set up camp in the pond . After the turtle was removed they kept this behavior up . Again I asked myself why ? Couple days went by and something ate all the eggs . I set up coon traps a got 5 large racoons and counting . Now they are eating out of my hand and one has established a new nest . The pond is fenced in with good wire . There was a drain tube connecting the two ponds together that I over looked when fencing . Hopes this helps . Oh ! I forgot hold back the feed for a day or so see what they do . :love

I have 9 ducks,
2 are 1 year old
4 are 3 months old
And 3 are 3 weeks old
They ALL hate me. Not a single one of them will come anywhere near me no matter what I do. I bring them treats all the time I feed them I give them clean water I spend a ton of time with them but I cannot get them to come near me. The ducklings (3 weeks) used to chase me around and now they run away as well. Any ideas what I can do to get them to trust me and come near me :( they’re cayugas if that helps. I always move slow I always stay low to the ground (unless walking somewhere) I’m always around. But they don’t like me.
I also have 3 more in an incubator about to hatch in a few days, any tips what I can do with them to keep them trusting me?
Be the absolute first thing your ducklings see when they hatch. And try socializing one at a time (adult duck), don't remove the one completely or it will flip out. I had a very friendly drake and as long as he was near me trying to get treats the others were right behind him. Once I lost him the others didn't like me at all.

If I held back feed for a day or two I’d have a mutiny on my hands lol
I just like to come outside and sit with mine they will gather round to see if I have goodies if not they will just go about their business right around my feet. They do love me to bring out the shovel and we all look for worms.
It would be mutiny! I'm on keto right now and I feel like eating drywall😂

Back
Top Bottom