Ducks in the Winter

Pine shavings can vary depending on where they come from.
I have gotten bags of shavings before that looked like they had little sharp razor edges on them.
I imagine if those were the kind you end up getting it's probably not too good on their feet.
Most of the time though it is soft and fluffy and I see nothing wrong with it.
I would say that all depends on the kind of pine shavings you are ending up getting.
That would make sense, I mean, I don't know for sure, that is jus info I have heard from someone else. Anyway, don't depend don't it. 😊

I don't know for sure, that is jus info I have heard from someone else. Anyway, don't depend don't it. 😊

I know you are trying to be helpful.
However I think a lot of what you and lots of people post is just as you said above.

Something you heard from someone else or something you just googled.
I am not saying that that it can't still be helpful,
But I wish people would not post things sounding so matter of factly when it's nothing more than hearsay.

Thank you! I am doing the deep litter method and pine shavings have been working out well.
What works best for you will depend on what kind of house and run you have.
Pine shavings absorb moisture well.
I like to use a mixture in my house of straw and pine.
the shavings will absorb a little of the moisture while the straw helps keep it fluffed up a little better.
Especially if you buy that expensive chopped straw, it's really fluffy.
But even then ducks will flatten any kind of bedding you use and you will need to fluff it up on a regular basis.

I also use pine shavings in my run but my run is covered.
I use a lot of straw in my run in the winter around my waterers when things are freezing up and I cannot shovel and turn the litter like I normally do. I just continue to add layers of straw on the top to help keep things dry and give them some traction. When things thaw out I just remove that poopy wet straw.

I apologize i wasn’t trying to purposely spread misinformation,I must have read that wrong somewhere or something, the more ya know! I will stand by the fact however that when they get really cold their feet go up in their feathers. At least that is my personal experience. NH winters can be pretty rough and it doesn’t stop the ducks from tromping around in the snow.
Yes they certainly do!

Where did you read that pine shavings are hard on their feet? I searched everywhere and cannot find this info. Thank you
@Weeg was having problems with her ducks having bumblefoot and I told her about my experience with substrates - that is what she is talking about.

I used to use wood shavings, either pine or aspen. The shavings weren't sharp or large. I found them to be absorbent, soft, and cozy. I often hung out in the barn with my ducks on the shavings. However my poor ducks frequently got case after case of bumblefoot. I eventually asked my avian vet what I could be doing wrong and how I could prevent bumblefoot. She told me very directly that I needed to remove all hard surfaces from coming in contact with my ducks' feet - including wood shavings. I thought she was definitely incorrect and I tried to argue that the wood shavings I get are soft, but she told me that when small delicate duck feet stand on wood chips for hours at a time it is too hard for them. I replaced the shavings with 4-6 inches of straw or hay like she told me to and my ducks haven't had bumblefoot once for years.

Some experienced members here I have spoken with have used wood shavings for years and have not had bumblefoot in their flocks. But in my flock wood shavings were a huge issue. The straw/hay is harder to work with and I have to clean it out more frequently, but for me it is worth it.

People have strong preferences on substrates and everyone should choose the best option for their birds and themselves. There is no one best substrate for everyone.

Last edited:
@Weeg was having problems with his ducks having bumblefoot and I told him about my experience with substrates - that is what he is talking about.

I used to use wood shavings, either pine or aspen. The shavings weren't sharp or large. I found them to be absorbent, soft, and cozy. I often hung out in the barn with my ducks on the shavings. However my poor ducks frequently got case after case of bumblefoot. I eventually asked my avian vet what I could be doing wrong and how I could prevent bumblefoot. She told me very directly that I needed to remove all hard surfaces from coming in contact with my ducks' feet - including wood shavings. I thought she was definitely incorrect and I tried to argue that the wood shavings I get are soft, but she told me that when small delicate duck feet stand on wood chips for hours at a time it is too hard for them. I replaced the shavings with 4-6 inches of straw or hay like she told me to and my ducks haven't had bumblefoot once for years.

Some experienced members here I have spoken with have used wood shavings for years and have not had bumblefoot in their flocks. But in my flock wood shavings were a huge issue. The straw/hay is harder to work with and I have to clean it out more frequently, but for me it is worth it.

People have strong preferences on substrates and everyone should choose the best option for their birds and themselves. There is no one best substrate for everyone.
Ya, thats where I go the info, duckies have delicate little feet. Lol!

@Weeg was having problems with his ducks having bumblefoot and I told him about my experience with substrates - that is what he is talking about.
Quote- (@Weeg was having problems with his (her) ducks having bumblefoot and I told him (her) about my experience with substrates - that is what he is talking about.)
Just edited it bit! No biggie! My username does sound male! Lol! ☺

Quote- (@Weeg was having problems with his (her) ducks having bumblefoot and I told him (her) about my experience with substrates - that is what he is talking about.)
Just edited it bit! No biggie! My username does sound male! Lol! ☺
Oh, oops! Sorry about that! I'll go change it!

Anything that causes a tiny cut or abrasion in a birds foot can lead to bumble. Especially since they are poo factories and are going to step in feces. Bacteria enters through the broken skin and becomes infected. Seems like some ducks are more prone to it than others. Weight of the bird and cleanliness of the environment they are kept in are going to play a factor.
I've had some pretty sharp straw too. One time I walked in my run in flip flops and literally had to pull a sharp piece of straw out of my skin that jabbed me in the foot.
I'm not for or against any particular substrate, I'm just pointing out that what works for you is going to depend on many things.

Back
Top Bottom