Ducks keep screaming!

dalsa

Chirping
Aug 31, 2020
Hi all,

I have 3 pekin ducks, they are fine except that sometimes they start quacking really loud (it sounds like ah-ah-ah-ah). They are around 2 and a half months old, have fresh water, a paddling pool and food. They do this sound randomely but sometimes when they see us or when we pick them up. The issue is that im afraid they are being too loud for the neighbours. I dont want to part with them. Is there a way i can make them more quiet and what could be possible reasons for this behaviour as its not normal. Thank you.

My Pekins do this when they are hungry. Maybe some ducks are different. When my Pekins are out of water or food and I’ll walk by they will make that noise till I feed them and they’ll stop when I fill it up. Then I’ll leave and they ignore me
Would you suggest me leaving out a ton of food for them or is there anything I can distract them with?

Would you suggest me leaving out a ton of food for them or is there anything I can distract them with?
My ducks will only do that when hungry so yeah. Keep a ton of food out and water so they aren’t as noisy, sometimes they will do that when they are excited to, so like when they see you. You could try and get some toys in there, and give them treats often

While mine are not Peking they ARE quiet most of the time. I keep the food and water full....and as clean as they let me.

Mine quack loudly first thing at sunrise because they want out of the coop to where the food and water are. They will randomly give a short series of loud quacks a few times a day but it is only one duck and it doesn't last more than a few seconds.

My ducks will only do that when hungry so yeah. Keep a ton of food out and water so they aren’t as noisy, sometimes they will do that when they are excited to, so like when they see you. You could try and get some toys in there, and give them treats often
Thank you very much for your advice! Greatly appreciated.

While mine are not Peking they ARE quiet most of the time. I keep the food and water full....and as clean as they let me.

Mine quack loudly first thing at sunrise because they want out of the coop to where the food and water are. They will randomly give a short series of loud quacks a few times a day but it is only one duck and it doesn't last more than a few seconds.
Yes they quack loudly as well when released from the coop. Our duck’s loud quacks usually last for more than a couple seconds, thats the issue.

I'm super brand new here, but I can vouch that some ducks just really love quacking. My three girls quack like they are laughing and they do it when we see me from the outside, and especially when they want to be put to bed. They were also raised by me and they know I have snacks, lol.

I swear they are louder than roosters.

I’ve got some quiet ladies and I have some extremely loud ladies. It seems to be an individual thing, although I’m starting to wonder if it’s hereditary because the one daughter from my oldest girl sounds just like her mama and they both quack allllll the time at the top of their lungs. xD none are worse than the call ducks though. For such tiny birds they are LOUD. mine usually do it when excited, getting let out, finding fresh tubs of water, a handful of treats on the ground... the older girl does it when she sees her favorite drake, too. My drakes don’t shut up either but they’re a lot quieter, since they’re boys. :p

have the neighbours made concerns known, or are you trying to be proactive? Some have had great success by offering clean eggs to keep the peace and have no issues. A lot of it comes down to open communication if a problem does arise. :)

Back
Top Bottom