Ducks with special Needs

Pics

We just got this duck and didn't notice while the guy put him in our box. We saw later that she has a hunchback. She walks and swims ok, a bit slower, but seems to be gaining weight and thriving. She's not growing as fast as the others she came with though. When she sits she sits back on her tail with her flippers out. She doesn't seem to be in pain, but really I don't know. We've taken her to a friend that is our vet but he has no idea and suggested vitamins. We've done that but haven't noticed anymore changes. Anyone seen anything like her?
@hippie1 I haven't seen one like that before, But if the lil one is thriving and walking and swimming I'd say it has a good chance at a normal life I'd not breed it though it maybe genetic. Sure is a cutie. I'd keep them on vitamins especially one that has at least 150mgs of niacin in it till 10 weeks of age. They can be prone to leg issues and neurological issues if they don't get enough niacin and no chick starter has it in the amount ducklings need. So muliti vits or brewers yeast or plain niacin daily.

Welcome to BYC

My story is about my baby "Buttercup". We bought her at tractor supply and at first was ok......3 days after we got her she quit walking. Took her to the emergency vet and they said a vitamin deficiency. Put her on niacin, poultry vitamins AND brewers yeast. Had to take her away from her 3 sisters due to them trying to kill her. She is now permanently disabled. Looked into getting her a wheelchair but she will ONLY walk on her knees/nubs. Her feet are folded in. She gets baths daily in my bathtub and is now living in a kiddie pool (without water in it) with puppy pee pads and small mirrors tapped to the sides and stuffed animals so she doesnt feel alone. I dont know if there is any cure for this except surgery? She is very much babied and even though others on facebook told me to have her put to sleep there is NO way I could do that. She eats and uses the bathroom very fine. She just cant walk on her feet and is VERY wobbly on her knees. You can see her knees in the picture and her feet folded in. Anyone else have a duck like mine?

My story is about my baby "Buttercup". We bought her at tractor supply and at first was ok......3 days after we got her she quit walking. Took her to the emergency vet and they said a vitamin deficiency. Put her on niacin, poultry vitamins AND brewers yeast. Had to take her away from her 3 sisters due to them trying to kill her. She is now permanently disabled. Looked into getting her a wheelchair but she will ONLY walk on her knees/nubs. Her feet are folded in. She gets baths daily in my bathtub and is now living in a kiddie pool (without water in it) with puppy pee pads and small mirrors tapped to the sides and stuffed animals so she doesnt feel alone. I dont know if there is any cure for this except surgery? She is very much babied and even though others on facebook told me to have her put to sleep there is NO way I could do that. She eats and uses the bathroom very fine. She just cant walk on her feet and is VERY wobbly on her knees. You can see her knees in the picture and her feet folded in. Anyone else have a duck like mine?

Hi and welcome to the thread! I haven't personally seen a leg problem quite like hers - the deficiency must have been extremely severe. It sounds like she has a good quality of life and a devoted caretaker, though.
smile.png
If you're looking for some light reading sometime, there's a lot of information here about the effects of malnutrition: http://avianmedicine.net/content/uploads/2013/03/31.pdf and here: http://www.merckvetmanual.com/poult...ement-poultry/vitamin-deficiencies-in-poultry.

You've likely already considered this, but I wonder how her knees will hold up as she gets heavier - I would imagine there would be wear and tear on the area (not designed for walking on). Maybe the wheelchair you mentioned would alleviate the problem? This site has some ideas for making one: http://www.handicappedpets.com/sebastian.

Thanks for sharing the story of your special needs duck...I wish you and Buttercup the best!

hit.gif
Hey everyone I just wanted to update you guys on dandelion.....this last month has be bad I mean real bad.....her seizures had gotten so bad that we could not keep her safe she was slamming her head so hard that her head and face was swollen and she could not eat or drink without help......so anyways we had our neighbor come over and put her down yesterday it was one of the hardest choices I ever had to make but I feel like her suffering is over.......I just want to thank everyone for your helpful advice

hit.gif
Hey everyone I just wanted to update you guys on dandelion.....this last month has be bad I mean real bad.....her seizures had gotten so bad that we could not keep her safe she was slamming her head so hard that her head and face was swollen and she could not eat or drink without help......so anyways we had our neighbor come over and put her down yesterday it was one of the hardest choices I ever had to make but I feel like her suffering is over.......I just want to thank everyone for your helpful advice
Aww @quackers619 I am so sorry but you gave her a wonderful life.

Back
Top Bottom