Ducky DO'S & DON'TS

Pics
I'm thinking of a much simpler setup that can be filled with rain runoff and held for a few days, then drained to the garden as "Ducky Tea".....we have the contour of the land to work with so gravity can do most of the work. I haven't gotten it all worked out just yet, but I will use sand around it....so, a beach of sorts.....easily raked to deal with the poo spots....and to aid in absorbtion to keep skeeters from becoming any worse than they already are. Having to deal with the skeeters and gnats are probably the biggest issue that can be annoying, but they are so much worth it imo....we put up with a lot from plenty things in life that we accept and deal with....nothing is perfect, but the Reward has to be worth the sacrifice....and they certainly are.....:love

I am Looking to expand my "Duck gene pool" I have "Donald Duck" Mr. Mallard, "Mama Duck aka Ms Rouen & her Mixed Khaki Campbell/Mallard/Rouen 6 mo olds.. they're all evenly "Paired up".. BUT, am Looking for MORE Hen ducks..don't want to stress out the young hens this spring ( 2018).. + the Bakers in Nashville, TN are SCREAMING for Duck eggs! Absolutely going NUTS over them!! Anyone have a Duck Hen, that would consider adopting out??? Thanks & have a safe Thanksgiving! :)

How often do you have to clean your pool?
I clean it like 2-3 times a day ( my chickens drink out of it too, even though there are like 100 water things for them, so i try to keep it clean)and scrub with bleach water (very little bleach and make sure its rinsed well) once a week or every otger depending on how bad it is.

Being in the Ocala area, if your near the ONF might have a big issue with predators? Ducklings might attract more than adult ducks.
I am on the edge of Dunellon..
shhh.gif

There are many different mallard based breeds, they are very diverse. Most require a regular pool of water. Muscovy are a bit different. They can breed with mallard based breeds but the offspring are sterile and called mules.

Muscovy are more mobile on ground, they roost like chickens, don't need to spend so much time in the water, and in my opinion are wonderful pest controls. Mine wander the yard at night foraging. They can fly somewhat, and will breed and brood easily. They don't quack like regular ducks and are quieter, they have a hissing speech.

I personally only keep muscovy currently.
I left a post regarding my question, but...... My wife and I rescued two male ducklings. They are five months old and have begun aggressive and painful mating behavior. My wife and I need to know if this is atypical behavior and......well, it hurts. Frankly, our place might not be the best place for these ducks anyway. We just need to know. Thanks.....

Back
Top Bottom