Ducky DO'S & DON'TS

Pics
P.s.
ducks.gif

Hubby and I actually built this.....works great! Less spillage and waste. Stopped running our hose to it to rinse it down as I notice the chickens cleaning it up after the ducks. But we have so much rain now in Oregon, so it's pointless as well. (There's so much crap & misinformation on the internet but this one actually works.)

Just a tip if you're the one holding the tube- definitely wear gloves. It got hot really fast with the use of the jig saw.

Last edited:
I really didn't know where to post this question until I remembered this thread..

SHOULD I DO THIS or DON'T DO THIS?
I know nothing about geese..
I lady called DH from a response to a classified ad.
We have 3 turkeys for sale.

She offered x/$ and a breeding pair of 2 y/o Pilgrim Geese in exchange for the BBB Turkeys.

Am I asking for trouble obtaining animals I have zero experience with? Are they going to chase me around?

:rolleyes::pop:oops:

Pilgrim geese are beautiful and you can tell male from female at hatch which is awesome and I have read their temperament is pretty good too. All ganders get temperamental during breeding season so you'll have to take that into consideration, but even though I have a grumpy gander[Emdben] 10yrs old now during breeding season and wants to bite me at every turn, I wouldn't give mine up for nothing I love my geese.
Here is some info on geese plus breeds so you can read about the Pilgrim breed.

I'd just say also geese are bullies and if you run they may chase. It's very important we teach them not to think this way and train them to behave.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/geese-sticky-topics-index.497391/

Pilgrim geese are beautiful and you can tell male from female at hatch which is awesome and I have read their temperament is pretty good too. All ganders get temperamental during breeding season so you'll have to take that into consideration, but even though I have a grumpy gander[Emdben] 10yrs old now during breeding season and wants to bite me at every turn, I wouldn't give mine up for nothing I love my geese.

I'd just say also geese are bullies and if you run they may chase. It's very important we teach them not to think this way and train them to behave.
:goodpost:I hope to have pilgrims in the near future. :) up to you whether or not you want to go for it.:highfive:

Interesting and thank you. It is easy to Google P/Geese but to hear personal experience is awesome.. We haven't made a conclusion as of yet..

I got ducks by chance about 2 months ago. We have been contemplating chickens for a couple of years, but never got around to it. 2 months ago my sister found 2 young muscovies, about 6 weeks old, dumped. Lots of my animals are strays or dumps due to work I used to do with an animal rescue group. My sister works in a parkland area that is acres of bush and recreational facilities. She often finds animals and most of them end up here lol.

So we got the 2 muscovies, knowing nothing about them but falling in instant love. They were very tame and obviously not going to survive on their own. We named them Winsor and newton. They turned out to be male and female, and everything was great. They settled in immediately. They free range as I still haven't secured their pen to prevent them flying out. I will get to it soon though, as they've already tried one nest but a goanna got to the eggs just yesterday.

Then, a few weeks ago, my sister found another baby Muscovy in the bush. He was only a few weeks old. He's a bit more nervous, but is settling in very well. Now that Winsor is off her nest he has had both of them to flock with. They are all getting along better as each day passes.

They live on grower pellets from the local produce place, and kitchen scraps.

From left to right: sumo, newton and winsor:
IMG_2086.JPG

Back
Top Bottom