Due around 3/26? **non-intervention success story pg 9**

Quote:
Hi Christina -- Good luck with your hatch! Please keep us posted! You may be the first!!
pop.gif

Day 18 today!!
woot.gif

I just did my last candle & took the eggs out of the turners. 18 eggs, looking good!

I was amazed that my air cells had not become gigantic considering that I went totally dry 2-3 days ago. They're approaching what they're supposed to look like at 18 days but still have a little ways to go. I'm going to stay dry for now & do what my trusted adviser does -- wait for the first pip and then bump up the humidity. I'll do it Wed am if no pips before then, since I'll be at work all day Wed. I know this is not orthodox.

This is getting exciting -- can't wait for those pips!
ya.gif

Quote:
OC, do you have a good source for info on air cells? I can basically see dislodged air cells and an occasional one that looks grotesque, but I don't have the breadth of knowledge on them that you do. I'd like to learn more!

Thanks,

Laura

I've kept this run incubating at between 30 and 40% up until yesterday and running in the 50-60 range for this hatch so we'll see. It's beginning to look good since all three are peeping away.

And at that humidity they won't really affect the turkeys who are a few days behind.

Hi Laura --
What I know about air cells is basically pictures (line drawings) I've seen of what they're supposed to look like at 7, 14 & 18 days. The 18 day one looks like it takes up maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of the shell. I would search for one online now but I need to get my son to school!

I always candle from the air cell end (big end) and that shows up the air cell really well -- can be hard to see otherwise.

Good luck & let us know!

All three are mostly out! One is totally free and the others have a last 1/3 to kick away from! We made it!

I am sooooo glad that during that first disaster I learned how to assist without making a mess of things.

Pullet eggs make for VERY hard hatches. Lots more so for the poor little idiot with his head the wrong way. He couldn't move at all, just peeped and almost wiggled.

Wrongway never would have made it without help and I'm not so sure about the last either, she'd pipped into the aircell and struggled for almost twelve hours with no progress at all.

Back
Top Bottom