Dull Comb = sick or molting chicken?

HilaryAkin

Songster
May 23, 2021
Northern Lower Michigan
I know chickens molt and have one growing her feather back now. She was pretty obvious, now I have one I’m unsure of. She doesn’t seem to be losing a lot of feathers but has a very dull comb, isn’t moving around a ton (not running over for mealworms even! But does walk over), and sleeping sitting up while others playing in the leaves. I don’t see anything wrong with her vent or feet. I looked for bugs and don’t see any. My question is, can she be molting and not feeling good but not obvious with a lot of missing feathers, or could she be sick and I’m missing something? Suggestions on how to proceed? Thanks!!

Attachments

• 225D10C2-845D-489A-AFA4-156679854756.jpeg
    225D10C2-845D-489A-AFA4-156679854756.jpeg
    810.8 KB · Views: 31
You'll have to look her over for new pen feathers coming in. Some birds molt lightly but they often don't feel well during molt. Most go out of lay and their combs and wattles shrink and lose color.

If you feel that molt is not the reason why she's acting a bit off, then consider getting a fecal float to see if worms are part of the problem.
Check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight.

You'll have to look her over for new pen feathers coming in. Some birds molt lightly but they often don't feel well during molt. Most go out of lay and their combs and wattles shrink and lose color.

If you feel that molt is not the reason why she's acting a bit off, then consider getting a fecal float to see if worms are part of the problem.
Check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight.
Don’t see any obvious feathers coming in. I’ll have to check her first thing in the morning because I just can’t really tell about her crop. She’s currently getting around the yard more and eating off the block I set out. I do notice a little poo running down her butt but her vent looks fine.

Attachments

• 92C85238-998E-4C82-B957-566698FD534F.jpeg
    92C85238-998E-4C82-B957-566698FD534F.jpeg
    667.7 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom