Molting and Egg bound

ChickenMama1988

Chirping
Aug 10, 2022
My poor Darla is going through a molt .. and is now egg bound .. i already gave her an epsom salt bath but when i blow dry her so many feathers are coming out .. is that bad?? it’s cold where i am so i don’t want her getting sick too

the egg feels like it is rotated sideways!! is that so bad? is there a way i can rotate it?

Attachments

• EE6AEE66-63B8-4452-9D99-B0534C8B4278.jpeg
    EE6AEE66-63B8-4452-9D99-B0534C8B4278.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 62
  • F8D2ED04-95B2-442A-B70B-04B130533414.jpeg
    F8D2ED04-95B2-442A-B70B-04B130533414.jpeg
    716 KB · Views: 11
Are you positive she is egg bound? Usually when they molt, they stop laying eggs because their body is putting all their energy into molting instead of laying
i’m not 100% sure but her bottom does feel kinda hard .. is there another reason she would ne standing like this? she definitely not herself .. she usually my wild child

She could be standing like that because she's sick or her molt is really kicking her butt. Bring her into somewhere warm, offer plain water and her normal chicken food. You could also offer her water with electrolytes in it, for a boost. Don't bathe her anymore, that will stress her. Keep an eye on her once she's in her warm place and monitor if she's eating and drinking

She could be standing like that because she's sick or her molt is really kicking her butt. Bring her into somewhere warm, offer plain water and her normal chicken food. You could also offer her water with electrolytes in it, for a boost. Don't bathe her anymore, that will stress her. Keep an eye on her once she's in her warm place and monitor if she's eating and drinking
i have her inside now!! she’s eating a drinking no issue .. she’s has diarrhea .. pretty much just liquid .. 3 times since i’ve brought her in a little over an hour ago .. she’s had diarrhea for a few days but i assumed it was bc she’s molting but could i be wrong? what else should i be looking for

i have her inside now!! she’s eating a drinking no issue .. she’s has diarrhea .. pretty much just liquid .. 3 times since i’ve brought her in a little over an hour ago .. she’s had diarrhea for a few days but i assumed it was bc she’s molting but could i be wrong? what else should i be looking for
Diarrhea is not good. I'm going to tag people that are very helpful. Hopefully they will be on soon to help you. @azygous @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive

Usually if they are egg bound they cannot poop. Molt is a time of stress when illness can strike. Can you offer some scrambled egg and a bit of plain yogurt? Mushy wet chicken feed is also good. It is hard to know if she has a reproductive disorder. Let us know how she is getting along.

Diarrhea is not good. I'm going to tag people that are very helpful. Hopefully they will be on soon to help you. @azygous @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive
Usually if they are egg bound they cannot poop. Molt is a time of stress when illness can strike. Can you offer some scrambled egg and a bit of plain yogurt? Mushy wet chicken feed is also good. It is hard to know if she has a reproductive disorder. Let us know how she is getting
Usually if they are egg bound they cannot poop. Molt is a time of stress when illness can strike. Can you offer some scrambled egg and a bit of plain yogurt? Mushy wet chicken feed is also good. It is hard to know if she has a reproductive disorder. Let us know how she is getting along.
i have her some scrambled eggs this morning she picked out and shells i had in there! she ate it happily, i can definitely give her plain yogurt!! i’m keeping her inside the house!! shes drinking eating and cooing sometimes she is having diarreah a lot!! every 15ish minutes .. this is what’s she’s been giving us

Attachments

• D7D0C794-74B5-4942-BEAC-60C2EC4B1B99.jpeg
    D7D0C794-74B5-4942-BEAC-60C2EC4B1B99.jpeg
    660.4 KB · Views: 7
That discharge is typical in egg binding. If it smells very unpleasant and acrid (biting), it's more evidence. Give her a calcium tablet right now directly into her beak. It will help with contractions to push the egg out.

Don't relax once you've seen an egg from her. Often two eggs are involved in egg binding.

That discharge is typical in egg binding. If it smells very unpleasant and acrid (biting), it's more evidence. Give her a calcium tablet right now directly into her beak. It will help with contractions to push the egg out.

Don't relax once you've seen an egg from her. Often two eggs are involved in egg binding.
is it possible it’s actually diarreah .. now that she’s been inside a while she seems fine other than the pooping .. she’s standing upright not poofed out at all and i realize the spot i was touching was her butt bone the rest of her bottom is soft .. she did just spit up on my a little bit she’s drinking a lot of water .. i’m so confused

Back
Top Bottom